[WIP / REL] TES III: Keening - Ch 1: Keening City - Beta

A place to discuss and download Keening: Indie Expansion Series and related mods.

Moderator: Dana Nova Darko

[WIP / REL] TES III: Keening - Ch 1: Keening City - Beta

Postby Dana Nova Darko » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:55 pm

I began work on my little project in December 2011. I hope people get some enjoyment out of it when it's finished.

CONCEPT:
"The Heart of Lorkhan has been destroyed by the Nerevarine. The Tribunal God
Vivec’s power desperately wanes. The Ministry of Truth is on the cusp of
resuming its course of destruction which will pulverize Vivec City...
and ultimately all of Vvardenfell itself. Will the Dunmer be the next to
follow in the footsteps of the Dwemer and be wiped from the face of Tamriel?
Now, you can join The Cause attempt to prevent this disaster."

- Explore a new landmass, and a new city with over 15 highly detailed buildings.

- Meet Indoril Nerevar, and help the first council drive off the Nord invasion.

- What happened to the Dwemer? Someone claims to know the answer.

- Find out why Azura has deployed her Twilight Army.

- Retake Balmora after the Sixth House completely destroys it. [FAQ: this will not change you current installation of Balmora]

- Travel to Oblivion to battle the forces of Mehrunes Dagon.

----------

>>>>>Website: http://www.automatichamster.com/keening/

Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elder-Scrolls-III-Keening-Morrowind-Expansion/250637605013467

-------------------------------------------------

>>>> REQUIRED MODS: http://www.automatichamster.com/keening/downloads.shtml
While I appreciate input, these mods are required for a reason and this will not changing. Keening isn't for everyone, but I'm sure some people will enjoy what I enjoy.

Keening will be released in 10 chapters:
>>>Images for the chapter covers: http://www.automatichamster.com/keening/covers/
KN01 - Keening City
- Landmass and City. The setting and the quests to Join the faction.
- Khuul Quests
- Main Quest Chapter 1: The Cavern of Azura
- Side Quests
---------------------------------------------
KN02 - Keening City Exanded
- Main Quest Part 2: The Ingenium
- Keening Minelands Interiors, Lighthouse, and expanded locations in the City.
- Side Quests
- Children of Morrwowind and Ambient Town Sounds patches
KN03 - Aftermath
- Main Quest Part 3: Balmora Aftermath
KN04 - Keening Underground
- The Underground Dwemer-built portion of Keening City accessed through various locations.
- Badlands: The Undead
- Side Quests
KN05 - The First Era
- Main Quest Part 4: The First Era
KN06 - Port Sunder
- Port Sunder Interiors and Expansion
- Alternate Faction
- Side Quests
KN07 - The Deadlands
- Main Quest Part 5: Deadlands part one and part two
KN08 - Secret of the Lazmer
- Development of the Techno Industrial Dwemer Locations.
- New Faction, new race
- Side Quests
KN09 - Finale
- Main Quest Part 6: The Great Secret
- Delirium: Quest for Sheogorath
KN10 - Keening Integrated
- Aspects of Keening integrated into appropriate locations around Vvardenfell
- Side Quests
Also, for new players, I have a TOP TEN MODS list:
http://www.automatichamster.com/keening/topten.shtml

Folders of screen shots that I shared on the original Bethesda Official Forum WIP thread:
http://www.automatichamster.com/keening/screens/scrnapr18/

New Screen shots that will be used for the walkthrough on the website. The first half of Keening Part One's Story takes place in various locations on Vvardenfell before even finding Keening City.
http://www.automatichamster.com/keening/walkthrough/

CREDITS:

CREDITS
- Arcimaestro Antares: Daedric Portal
- Chainy: Oblivion Plants for Morrowind
- Silverfoxrival - Moonstone, Keening Stone, Lazmite Ore and Raw Lazmite
- DJGAmer: Techno Industrial Dwemer Retexture
- Lucevar: Conversion of DJGamer's TIDR to Modder's Resource for Keening
- Midgetalien: Daedric Resources
- Oriphier - Magic Gates Vfx Resource Pack
- Qarl: Kayla's Knick Knacks / Statue Replacer
- Steve Deffeyes (Dongle): Musical Instruments
- Steve Deffeyes (Dongle): Printing Press Mesh
- Steve Deffeyes (Dongle): Weapons Pack
- Taddeus: Sweetroll [Needs of Morrowind]
- TF: TF Books [blank book covers have been modified for Keening]
- Vurt: Mangroves, Trees (All Trees in Keening come packed with it and will not be affected by or interfere with other tree replacers)
- WildKarrde: Pipe Organ

THANKS
- ab0t: Kriin animation fix / Enable-Disable Script
- Kagz and ab0t: assistance with figuring out how to add new sound files for the Muroids

RELEASE INFORMATION:

Part One: City, is almost ready to be released. Mostly just play-testing, tying up quest dialogue, creating new textures for unique items and creating icons, setting northmarkers. Stuff like that.

I am going to have to learn to move the landmass to the east of TR and learn to clean the file.

We will also be going into the studio to record more voice files - I'm working with Casey Mongillo, who is a professional voice actor with a studio that has done work for Rockstar Games, Star Trek Online, and a lot of others.

Dana Nova Darko
Journeyman

Title: The Architect

Re: [WIP] TES III: Keening - Independent Expansion

Postby DARoot » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:07 pm

Dana Nova Darko -- "..I began work on my little project in December 2011..

LITTLE?????
My hat is off to you, Lady!
This sounds like a REALLY interesting project!

Please keep us informed on your progress ...
:biggrin:
DARoot
DARoot

Postby Dana Nova Darko » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Haha, thanks! And yes, little.... lol. I won't be able to make something as big as Bloodmoon. I suppose I could have aimed for something more lofty like a shack outside of Balmora with a re-textured sword inside, but... I'm not so good at retexturing swords. So, I'm doing this instead.... and now I'm retexturing swords anyways. ;)
Dana Nova Darko
Journeyman

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:26 pm

It's true, we all dream of one day creating a shack outside of Balmora with a retextured sword inside... but sadly, we often have to put our dreams aside for more attainable things, eh? ;)

You do nice artwork, but a question... What is automatichamster? Is it a process, a game engine, a production organization, or just a name you chose for your Keening site?

In any case, creative people seem to congregate here, and it makes the atmosphere... challenging. I do hope you'll enjoy it.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Dana Nova Darko » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:02 pm

I actually might release a humor mod after Keening part one called "The Elder Scrolls III: Shack Outside of Balmora w/ Retextured Sword." My challenge would be to finish it in one night using only vanilla resources except the new sword and some scripts. Yes, it would have Dwemer Ruins where you accidentally kill the guy you're with by turning the wrong crank, and also rats that like to eat pillows.

Automatic Hamster is just my personal wesbite, http://www.automatichamster.com. It's a place for me to put all my random projects - kind of a hub for all my web presences. Call it the name of my "studio" if you want, I don't know. I've had the site for years and it is mostly where I put something silly if I think of it. Like my Skyrim map of manhattan. Just random stuff I come up with. I am mostly proud of my logo - I love hamsters?

erm... Challenging? I'm not sure what to make of that.... could mean challenging like a worthy project, or challenging like a child on too much caffeine. Don't know.

-----------

As for Keening news, I'm very happy to have signed on Jocelyn Baxter to co-plot aspects of Keening, research Lore, write new books, and play-test. She's a professional playtester with a passion for Morrowind, for creating, and for researching. Check her out: http://sizigyy.blogspot.com/2012/04/bones-of-earth.html

I'm really not one to run a team for a mod... the process, for me, is all about creative expression and challenging myself, but having interested helpers is a big deal to me and I want to treasure that. silver_fox_rival has been doing a lot of new models and textures, and abot has been helping with scripting - simply because he is that good, and he can help without much effort on his part - he's just that nice. A huge part of it was inherited with permission from Lady Rae and Badkarma (and korana, but she is MIA) from clothiers of vvardenfell - it makes me happy that Keening is going to be a great example of what (mostly) women can offer to video games. Wasn't my intention but it seems to be adding up that way.
Dana Nova Darko
Journeyman

Postby neildarkstar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:25 am

While there is something to the "child on too much caffeine" notion, what I really meant was that the talents of the people here are the sort that makes one wonder just a bit about how they compare. Fleet does great renders and creates visual novel/games, kagz work with textures, and meshes is legendary in the modding community, and his daz renders are stunning to say the least. Dragon wench paints terrific poetry and stories, you are surrounded by swordsmen who are martial arts masters, DARoot with a terrific knowledge of history, music, and is a terrific bard, Madoc Mayhem who is a master of ... Mayhem? and me, well, I do a little of this and a little of that...

Anyway, Keening sounds great, and I'm green with envy that you can manage to get professional voice acting to use in it. Different voices always lend entertainment value, if the acting isn't terrible. I don't know if you play Oblivion, but there is a German mod called "Blood and Mud" that lends a truly different experience, in great part simply because of the voice acting. The sometimes heavy, but natural, accents of the actors is a huge asset. I've been looking for something similar in Morrowind, and perhaps Keening might be the answer.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Dana Nova Darko » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:56 am

I played through Oblivion to the closing of the first gate at first level. There was some gorgeous work there, but Morrowind is taking up all my time.... adding mods, modding, and even trying to finish up all the quests and factions I haven't done yet. In Oblivion, the faces are weird (cavemen?), the physics are broken (bouncing books and weapons oh my), the inventory/ map menus are harder to navigate, and the always-hit/ creatures level down/ up top you thing seems too easy. Just stuff I'll try to get mods to fix when I devote myself to a playthrough.

Good voice acting with good sound quality is rare in mods. I'm lucky that I can walk into the recording booth and read off a string of lines and outtakes and get back a disc with cleaned-up, normalized soundfiles ready to be added to the game. So if I get around to Oblivion, remind me of that one again when the time comes. :)

I hope Keening can stand up to people's expectations - lol, could be I'm way better at promoting than I am at modding. I don't think so, but hey. I've got almost 70 people following Keening on facebook, and it's an unreleased mod - that gives me encouragement. I hope that the fact that I'm going to support it with a detailed, graphical website with walkthroughs and character profiles and such, along with continued chapter/ expansions will set a new standard for mods, or at least inspire people to start modding or to start playing.

I like how you can list off people on these boards as being "known for" certain things and held in high regard... I'm not really familiar with the mods featured here, so at some point I'll have to go through them and check them out. I used to use Jac's lighting, and Kagz has actually helped me out with some complex issues I ran into with Keening. If Keening is well-received, it will be interesting to see what people end up saying that I am "known for" in modding styles.... People seem to like my detail and the voice acting, but my play-testers haven't said a word to me about their experiences yet, so I'm like... hmmmmm..... My standards for myself are so high that I'm almost afraid to release the thing. But I have 9 more chapters that will come after this one and I can improve and expand with each one - takes the pressure off.
Dana Nova Darko
Journeyman

Postby Dana Nova Darko » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:10 am

Cell Map/Location:

http://www.automatichamster.com/keening ... g-map1.jpg

It appears that this will NOT conflict with the next release of Tamriel Rebuilt, but in anticipation of future TR releases claiming these cells, I may need to run for cover and move it to a new location.
Dana Nova Darko
Journeyman

Postby Dana Nova Darko » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 am

I neglected to post the final trailer for Keening Chapter One over here. Sorry! I love y'all at Wolflore!

I'm working on big fixes and tweaks right now, but I got distracted and decided to finish my sunken dwemer ruin for the first release, rather than just the planned first room.

I'm looking for people willing to play-test it and let me know if they have any bugs, suggestions, or comments. I don't think it's a good idea for me to release a first mod that's this big without having some other people try it and confirm that my file package works as intended.
Dana Nova Darko
Journeyman

Postby Jac » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:45 am

Give me some good pictures, Dana, and we'll put this on the portal page. :biggrin:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Next

Return to Keening: Indie Expansion Series