A whole new edition of Let's Pretend.

A place to post news that might interest folks or at least keep people informed. This is an all news topic forum. No adult content, please.

A whole new edition of Let's Pretend.

Postby fable2 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:38 pm

The Senate Security Office sent an email around the Hill Friday afternoon asking Senate employees and contractors to try to ignore the fact that top-secret, highly-classified documents are now floating around the Web freely (and, in the case of a terribly designed NSA Powerpoint, getting facelifts.) The email asks security managers to remind Senate employees and contractors that the documents are still technically classified and should be treated as if millions of people haven’t already read them.

Literally true; and you can read about it here.

Amazing.

Oh, and the source for the news piece is that anti-American scandal sheet, Forbes Magazine.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Re: A whole new edition of Let's Pretend.

Postby Raym » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:43 am

Funny how power can make itself ridiculous sometimes, huh? :biggrin:
I don't have a dirty mind. I just have a sexy imagination.
Raym
Lurker Extraordinarie

Postby Elaura » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:37 am

Funny. It all makes perfect sense to me . . . or maybe I should say it comes as no surprise. The spin definitely makes it sound more absurd than the actual practice.

When I was in the ARMY, our brigade brass wanted to know how many of the ships we supported were nuclear capable. We told them we could not divulge that information, as it was considered "Top Secret" and we didn't have direct access to any "Top Secret" rated communications. Our phones and computer were only rated "Secret" as that was the highest clearance of our least-cleared office personnel.

However, we also told them they could google the names of the ships we supported and find out for themselves.

You see, just because the public knows about it, doesn't mean everyone involved is allowed to talk about it. After all, just because something is leaked, doesn't mean everything is leaked and we should just all throw OPSEC out the window.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby neildarkstar » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Anonymous beat up the NSA and DoD pretty badly over the last few days. I'd guess they're feeling the sting...
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby PiNK PiPER » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:09 pm

It makes no sense to me why the US military is connected to the internet. They can't be that stupid can they? Sometimes I think that it is all misinformation. The military must have their own internet don't they? If I was the military I too would set up military computers connected to the net full of bullshit information. I just can't believe that they are so dumb to have their computers connected to the WWW :frustrated:
PiNK PiPER

Postby fleet » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:30 pm

PiNK PiPER wrote:It makes no sense to me why the US military is connected to the internet. They can't be that stupid can they? Sometimes I think that it is all misinformation. The military must have their own internet don't they? If I was the military I too would set up military computers connected to the net full of bullshit information. I just can't believe that they are so dumb to have their computers connected to the WWW :frustrated:

Pink,
When I worked for the US Army I knew of at least two internet networks. One that most of us used was cleared for 'official use only'. This was the one that most of us had; we could access just about any site on the internet at that time. There was a separate internet that was classified for 'secret' material (separate server, separate wiring). In my office (about 30 people when I left) there were only 5 people who could log into that network (one was the Information Technology manager, one was the security manager, one was the office director, one was his deputy, and the other was the budget chief). The hard drive for the 'secret' system was locked in a safe, and the terminal was in a room with no windows.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet
Enforcer

Postby neildarkstar » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:58 pm

What I meant by "beat up by anonymous" is a little different than what you're thinking. The web site "NSA.gov", the NSA's website was hit by a DoS attack that kept it inaccessible for at least 13 hours that I know of. The information they released was the email addy's of some 400 NSA employees, I'm unsure what exactly they did to the DoD but it was something, for sure.

Having a seperate internet system is no guarantee of anything, really. One guy with a large capcity thumb drive (like Eric Snowden) can take a vast amount of documents, emails, etc. from your secure system and post it to the internet whenever he feels like it. Or, conversely, thumb drives can be infected with a variety of trojans and worms which can do all sorts of fun things. Just ask the Iranians...

Finally, let's just say that General Joe has a laptop that connects to the secure system only. An infected thumb drive is connected to it, and unknown to General Joe, his laptop looks for a wireless connection to the everyday internet, then dumps its entire contents to a third party server, and away the info goes. Really, there is no such thing as a secure system.

EDIT:
A little more pretend... and don't miss the song at the end. :biggrin:
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby PiNK PiPER » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:39 am

What is the song??? I loved the rant. I really hate to go all conspiracy. I studied it in University but this is all really kind of scary.

Did anyone see the movie Sword Fish? This was like 8-10 years ago and the whole movie was exactly about this. The plot is all about the American government spying on everyone's email. Sometimes it is very difficult not to believe the conspiracy theorists.

I am so disappointed with the poor leadership we all have. Personally I am going to buy a gun and get lessons while I wait for the zombie apocalypse. I am going to go to work, hide my money underneath my mattress and spend my time trying to get laid and the rest of it masturbating because really... this kinda stuff is depressing. I mean if this is happening in the USA then it is happening everywhere and it has likely been going on for a long long time.

I am barely 30 years old and after living through Bush's lies of mass destruction and now the bullshit change of Obama I really think America has lost all credibility. I don't know how much longer all this corruption can go on for. Six years ago there was riots in France, then the Arab spring, then the occupy movement, there was just riots in Sweden and there has been a war going on in Syria that no one seems to care about, Iran has been building nuclear weapons for the past 10 years and nobody wants to stop them... OMG I better buy a larger vibrator :scamper:
PiNK PiPER

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:34 am

The song at the end is "The Armpit Song" by Siwan Clark.

One of the interesting things about all of this, is the fact that conspiracy theorists have been redeemed. From now until hell freezes over, conspiracy theories will have to be judged, rather than disregarded out of hand. If the tin foil hat brigade is right about this, how many other things might they have gotten right? :scamper:

I don't believe it's that nobody wants to stop Iran, it's more like nobody has a clue HOW. Israel would no doubt have launched pre-emptive strikes if the US had given them a nod... but the results of such an action are possibly very much like trying to light a cigar in a fireworks factory. Ah, and Syria...

Thousands of Egyptian Jihadists have massed on the Syrian border, presumably to support the rebels who are loyal Al Qaeda, while the US is now arming and training the Al Qaeda rebels against Assad (and the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood gets F-16s from Obama), Iran has moved 4000 troops to the Syrian border to aid Assad (why not the rebels who are Muslim extremists just like they are? I dunno) and Russia is moving to back Assad as well. Heaven only knows what the Israelis are planning...

AND I DON'T OWN A VIBRATOR! :crying: but then... I don't know what I'd do with one if I had it... :chinscratch:

Fortunately, I do own a shotgun, and I do know what to do with that, eh? Bring on the zombies!
:biggrin:
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Adul » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:32 am

Not all on the Syrian rebels' side are Islamists, many would rather replace Assad's regime with a constitutional government. The Free Syrian Army, which composes the bulk of the rebel forces, are pretty firm about them not being an Islamist group. That said, there are many Islamist groups in the region, basically every cause has Islamist supporters, and nobody's in the position to turn away help. On the rebels' side, (possibly among others) there is the Islamist group Ahrar al-Sham, who, as far as I know, have not committed any known war crimes. On the other hand, the Syrian army receives support from the Hezbollah, which is considered a terrorist organization by many.

As for the topic of Edward Snowden and his recent actions, they have sparked an "interesting" conversation in my opinion. You see the liberals elevating him to hero status and asking for a pardon, while many on the right call him a traitor and some even go as far as suggesting ordering his execution (I'm looking at you, Fox News). I personally think what he did and what he stands for are both right, and that the right to privacy should be cherished and fought for. But then I've always been pretty sensitive about "Orwellian measures" and I'm generally in favor of privacy/transparency over security.
Adul
Warden

Next

Return to News Submissions