Canada... A police state?!?

A place to post news that might interest folks or at least keep people informed. This is an all news topic forum. No adult content, please.

Canada... A police state?!?

Postby neildarkstar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 am

For our Canadian friends... It seems the move toward unilateral police invasion is not restricted to just the US.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/gun-seizures ... ice-power/

It leaves one to wonder if there is ANY safe harbor for freedom in this age of globalization, eh?
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Re: Canada... A police state?!?

Postby PiNK PiPER » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Canada... A police state?!? hehehehehe :mockery: Yep we are coming at ya with our snowballs and maple syrup :biggrin:

Yes it happened but it really is no big deal. Everyone will be getting their guns back. I can't comment on that particular story because who knows if it is even true but it was on our national news and the Prime Minister has even weighed in saying that they (the RCMP) over stepped their boundaries and that it wouldn't happen again. Canadians were outraged over this story as we Canadians are usually pretty calm about these sort of things. It was picked up right away and the RCMP were on the defensive almost as soon as they did it. They were forced to stop and they did.

The whole city was flooded neil. It was a disaster zone. I would rather the police take them than other people steal them. The Mayor of Calgary and the RCMP have promised that every gun will be returned and there is no reason not to believe that since the issue has been discussed in our press (the papers and our national news) and more importantly in the Albertan and our national parliaments.

Personally I have no problem with people owning a gun or sport riffle but I draw the line at automatic weapons which are illegal in Canada. The old Liberal government of Canada put into law The Canadian Firearms Registry where people had to register their guns and it was one of the reasons why they were brought down as a government. The new conservative government took power in 2006 and swiftly crushed the bill and destroyed all the evidence. In reality they probably still have all this information somewhere anyways.

Still we have very little gun violence here. When I speak to my cousin who married an American and now lives in Florida, she said that the quality of life is the same except for the amount and severity of the violence and crime which she still has not gotten used to. In fact they were both in town recently (she for 6 weeks and him for 10 days) as she is a big time make up artist (lol) and works in the movie industry and was working on an xmen movie that was being filmed in Montreal.

10 myths about Canadian views on guns
http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/tenmyths.html
PiNK PiPER

Postby neildarkstar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:40 pm

I don't know how it works in Canada. I know that here in the states, a warrantless search is a very big deal, and for more reasons than just temporary loss of weapons. When the police take weapons they (supposedly) write down serial numbers and pertinent information regarding rightful ownership. In effect, this back-door gun registration. In fact, I used to work with police agencies, and as far as I was concerned, they are the biggest collection of thieves outside of congress and the White House.

Automatic rifles are illegal in the US as well. A great deal of confusion has been caused by ignorant politicians speaking about "assault weapons" when they have no idea what an assault weapon is(and is not). Also,the US is different from Canada in that independence was won by revolutionaries who intended that US citizens be capable of mounting a defense against oppressive government. The second Amendment does not exist to provide guns for sportsmen, but to arm the population in case another rebellion is needed.

One thing that everybody focuses on is gun violence, but very few people actually bother to find out what it really is. The fact is that in the US, more people are killed with fists and feet than guns. Some 60% of gun violence is actually suicide, and we have 3 million instances per year nationwide where a gun is used defensively against criminals. You can thank Obama for those stats, he ordered a study on the subject hoping to prove we need less guns, but the study revealed the opposite is true.

Crime and violence aren't a result of guns, rather a result of methamphetamine and other drugs compounded by the gangs that sell them. Now we have Mexican cartels active all across the US, and if you want to see violence and crime, check out Mexico...

In an hour or so, I'm headed toward Canada... Heh, I'm taking my wife to Seattle to meet with doctors for a possible lung transplant. Unfortunately, that means I won't be able to respond to anything until I'm home tomorrow evening sometime. Don't be taking unfair advantage now... :biggrin:

EDITED for a buncha stuff... ;)
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby PiNK PiPER » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 pm

neildarkstar wrote:I don't know how it works in Canada. I know that here in the states, a warrantless search is a very big deal, and for more reasons than just temporary loss of weapons. When the police take weapons they (supposedly) write down serial numbers and pertinent information regarding rightful ownership. In effect, this back-door gun registration.

In an hour or so, I'm headed toward Canada... Heh, I'm taking my wife to Seattle to meet with doctors for a possible lung transplant. Unfortunately, that means I won't be able to respond to anything until I'm home tomorrow evening sometime. Don't be taking unfair advantage now... :biggrin:

It is basically the same here which is why as soon as the RCMP admitted it (which was right away) people were up in arms about it. As I have previously posted, it was taken very seriously that our Parliament (like your House of Representatives) were all over this and the RCMP got a public "what for" by our Prime Minister. All political parties were furious that it was done even though it was done with good intentions. People were upset but we Canadians react and behave differently. But don't confuse our politeness with weakness. That would be a mistake. Us Canadians are tough cookies.

In WW1 (and WW2) Canada had the third largest army in the world and at the battle of Passchendaele, October – November 1917 the German army called The Canadian Expeditionary Force, "stormtroopers" meaning the elite force because the final assault to capture Passchendaele Ridge began on November 10 and was completed the same day. The Canadian Corps did in two weeks what the other Allied forces were not able to do in three months..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Expeditionary_Force#cite_note-2 The Germans also called the United States Marine Corps., "stormtroopers" at the Battle of Belleau Wood (1–26 June 1918). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Belleau_Wood After WW2 our government dismantled our armed forces and rebuilt it as a peace keeping force and special tactical units were created.

As for the back door registration it really makes no difference because every Canadian had to register all their guns back in around 2003 when the Gun Registry Law came into effect. Personally I have no problem with a gun registry law as long as it is not used as another tax and that it is inexpensive to accomplish. Unfortunately our Liberal government at the time screwed the whole thing up by breaking both of those concerns.

Anyways this type of discussion usually goes upon the lines of geography where people who live in cities who dislike guns (because they are not needed in cities) and people who live for lack of a better word right now, live in agricultural areas of the country where guns are used for sport and needed for protection.

Personally I have never needed a gun and I really don't think I ever will however just because I don't believe guns are necessary that doesn't mean I have to force this opinion on other people. If people want to own guns they should be able to.

As far as the US gun laws are concerned I believe that there is BS coming from both sides. I don't take a hard line because I am aware of what is happening on your southern border and that the Mexican cartels are light weights compared to the South American gangs that have exploded in recent years. What has always perplexed me is why haven't the individual States taken to more aggressively patrol their border on their own with their national guard. Now that you guys have them drones you should be able to do it much easier.

With all the problems on your southern boarder I hope you appreciate your friendly northern boarder which also happens to be the largest undefended border in the world. :shades: Cheers eh! :drunk:

PS. Have a safe trip and good luck with your wife. ( And fer gads sake don't shoot anybody :biggrin: :bouncy: :mockery: )
PiNK PiPER

Postby Jac » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:48 pm

PiNK PiPER wrote:Anyways this type of discussion usually goes upon the lines of geography where people who live in cities who dislike guns (because they are not needed in cities) and people who live for lack of a better word right now, live in agricultural areas of the country where guns are used for sport and needed for protection.

We call those areas rural areas, PP. E and I live in one. There are rural areas and there are rural areas, though. Some places, you can barely get cellphone reception, if at all. We have guns because of both two and four legged predators; we keep the house secure from the former and the animals safe from the later.

Personally I have never needed a gun and I really don't think I ever will however just because I don't believe guns are necessary that doesn't mean I have to force this opinion on other people. If people want to own guns they should be able to.

Would that more believed as you do.

With all the problems on your southern boarder I hope you appreciate your friendly northern boarder which also happens to be the largest undefended border in the world. :shades: Cheers eh! :drunk:

You can blame the current administration for that. The previous one wanted to build a wall all along our border with Mexico, the current one seems to want to just open it up for anybody to cross. Hell, a few states that have passed anti-illegal alien legislation were slapped with lawsuits that contested them saying they were illegal.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby PiNK PiPER » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Yes it is an interesting issue. At the same time that the Republican party wants the Mexican/Latino vote they are also fighting for the strictest immigration laws. It is a divisive issue that's for sure. I think a wall is unnecessary now that you have drones that can see in the dark but certainly something needs to be done. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico%E2%80%93United_States_barrier some parts of the "fence" or "wall" has already been completed. Anyways I still believe it is cheaper to just fly drones and then pick them up. I don't think they had the same type of drone technology back in 2006 as they do now.

Oh ya. "rural" hehehe that's what it's called. I couldn't remember it at the time :facepalm: Of course in rural areas you need to be able to protect yourselves from animals and unfortunately people. I think most people understand that.

As far as protecting yourselves from your own government , I hope it never comes to that because then we are all fucked. Anarchy may sound good to inner city teenagers who dye their hair black but the reality is something I would rather keep in Hollywood movie theaters.
PiNK PiPER

Postby soap » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:03 pm

Yeah Canada's pretty bad for freedom and rights. Our Prime Minister is pretty much just following the US lead, where loosing freedoms and what not just like in the US.

To me it's like their practicing on us every chance they get. It's also a good way to get us used to being repressed. Sorta like a battered women.

Someone once said to me, the government is like the bad parent, and we're the children, one they were going to have to tell them where sick and tired of their crap and the way their treating us and taking care of us.

And honestly right get violated at the first sign of trouble. In quebec dealing with the FLQ in 1970, some rights where lost. In Kanehsatake 1990 and the golf corse, Japanese internment camps in WW2, etc.
soap
Banner God
Banner God

Postby neildarkstar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 am

Yeah, the US is more or less a police state with nominally elected officials these days. There are no rights which which cannot be suspended or removed on a moment's notice. Just look what happened after the bombing in Boston. Martial law, homes searched without warrants, people ordered out of their homes at gunpoint without probable cause, and so on. You know it's gotta be bad when even Jimmy Carter takes time off from celebrating to say that the US is no longer a functional democracy. (he was celebrating no longer being the worst US President in history)

Our supposed "defenders" in the NSA and DHS take aim at US citizens while the IRS targets groups not approved in certain circles.

I think that similar things must happen in all "free" countries to bring about the globalization desired by.... well, somebody with a lot of money and clout...

@ PiNK PiPER
PiNK PiPER wrote:As far as protecting yourselves from your own government , I hope it never comes to that because then we are all fucked. Anarchy may sound good to inner city teenagers who dye their hair black but the reality is something I would rather keep in Hollywood movie theaters.

A revolution or rebellion of citizens against oppressive government is not generally anarchy, though the the interim chaos certainly resembles it. I think we all would rather see it kept as a Hollywood theme movie, but I'm kinda thinking somebody is pushing for as much civil unrest as possible.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Return to News Submissions