On measuring

A place to exchange recipes and cooking tips and techniques.

Re: On measuring

Postby DARoot » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Neildarkstar --"..a quart of grapefruit juice in a Mason jar and a pint of Jose Ceurvo are three of my vest friends.."

Well, you may have had too much, if you think "..vest.." is a proper adjective...
"...Not that there's anything wrong with that!..." -- Jerry Seinfeld

DARoot
DARoot

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:46 pm

Vell, I coulds have shaid "besht friensh" but I was under the influence of too much grapefruit juice... Whiskey Man has issues with that, you see. ;)
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby DARoot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:03 am

Yeah, grapefruit juice can do that to ya -- sometimes makes you think 1 quart plus 1 pint equals three...

DARoot
DARoot

Postby fable2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:01 pm

My wife and I do a lot of cooking. Has to be measured carefully, though, because we use a lot of spices (not necessarily hot, just many different kinds), because we enjoy Indian, Hungarian, and MidEastern dishes. Get one thing off because you were just being approximate, such as cardamom, and you could end up with something fit for the gods, because only they would have the stomachs for it. ;)

But for standard USian stuff, like burgers, we approximate. Some Worcestershire sauce, some chopped onions, minced garlic, a bit of hickory smoke, and it's onto the grill.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Elaura » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:44 pm

If I use more than three spices in the same dish (not including salt and pepper) I always measure. Under three and a pinch or a dash will generally be fine. Ever get too much clove in your pumpkin pie? Smells wonderful, but tastes like eating potpourri.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby jromate » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm one of those guys that measures things in his hand. a teaspoon fills this much, a tablespoon 3x more. I choose my spices depending on the dish. Pasta always gets multiple combinations depending on dish.
I made a spagehhti with salmon in a cream sauce with dill weed and onions, mushrooms,s&p, that was very tasty.
Smiles are contagious!
jromate
Apprentice

Title: Leader of the Lost

Postby Elaura » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:26 pm

MMMmmm, I wish we had a good source for fresh herbs. Our best bet is a local grocery store with a fresh herbs section in the produce department. Everything is ridiculously over-priced because they're the only game in town besides the Walmart Supercenter.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby jromate » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Fresh herbs.. You can grow basil in a small pot in a window. I grow lots of things in window spaces in recycled butter containers. Tyme is a great spice for tomatoe dishes but I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to grow.. any help there would be appreciated.
Smiles are contagious!
jromate
Apprentice

Title: Leader of the Lost

Postby fable2 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Elaura wrote:MMMmmm, I wish we had a good source for fresh herbs. Our best bet is a local grocery store with a fresh herbs section in the produce department. Everything is ridiculously over-priced because they're the only game in town besides the Walmart Supercenter.

Do you have a local Asian/Middle Eastern/Pakistani/Indian mart around? Sometimes they have the same spices you'd buy in a local supermarket for a quarter of the price, or less. We get all our rosemary, oregano, etc, from an Indian/Pakistani grocery for that reason.
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby Elaura » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:15 pm

That's a good idea. The nearest one is about 2 1/2 hours away, but if we needed a lot of stuff at once, it would be worth the drive.
Elaura
Chaplain

PreviousNext

Return to The Iron Skillet