[RELz] Gypsy Van

A place to download and discuss Neildarkstar's mods. No adult content please.

[RELz] Gypsy Van

Postby neildarkstar » Sat May 26, 2012 9:13 pm

I think this one is ready for release, though it hasn't had as much time in beta as I would like. I've spent hours alpha testing on multiple computers, and all appears to be well. So, without further ado...

The question that recurs about this mod seems to be "With all of the terrific portable homes/tent mods (including my own "Scout's Refuge") why the heck do you want to create a cramped little living space with almost nothing to recommend it?

Well... I once created a home in a drum. My drum home had two servant/companions, a huge indoor swimming pool (stocked with fish after abot's Waterlife mod came out). A marksman's target range, a hall of mannequins to display armor, and display cases to display weapons and artifacts, a shrine of Almsivi Restoration, and a complete kitchen with both oven and cookstove for NoM. I made custom furniture for it using the vanilla cushions, and I occasionally just sat my character down (sitting pants, which I kept in a chest by the furniture, eh?) in front of the large Imperial Fireplace and read a book. The Drum house was also accessable from anywhere, I used my servant NPCs for teleport.

For some people, that would be ideal, but... for questing, it removed too many role playing opportunities, and just made life too easy in general. For me, it made the game dull. Hence, this mod.

The Elder Scrolls III MORROWIND:

==================
Mod Name
==================

By neildarkstar

1. Description
2. Requirements
3. Installing the plug-in
4. Playing the plug-in
5. Save games
6. Conflicts/Known Errors
7. Credits/Permissions received
8. Contact and Information
9. Legal Stuff/Disclaimer
10. Anything else

===============
1. DESCRIPTION
===============
Basically this is an aesthetic mod, providing an eye-pleasing addition to a campsite to fuel the imagination of the role player. It also adds in the functionality of portable storage and a reasonably safe place to sleep and heal or level up.

This mod consists of a covered wagon which can be set up in any exterior cell and a guar to presumably pull it. I didn't give the guar companion share because of the way he is created each time a camp is made. If you are capable of adding that, you are welcome to do so if you want, but things he carries will be lostif the van is packed and unpacked.

Activating the wagon presents an option to pack up the van, which removes the wagon and the guar from the game world, placing a token in your inventory which you can equip when you wnat to set up the van for use. Activating it also gives an option to enter the van.The interior is exactly the same size as the exterior, so it is quite small. It does have a collapsing table, working bed and adjustable lighting, with some storage. I provided one storage container inside, we all have placable container mods we like, so how you set it up is up to you.

You should note that nothing has been created to allow you to take a companion in (or back out), mostly because there just isn't room. I accidentally got the guar inside while testing a different version... Talk about crowded!

To adjust lighting, activate the lantern inside.

Activating the table raises it up and folds it back down.

When the van is unpacked from inventory the first time, a guar will apper, who presumably pulls the wagon. He will follow you if you activate him, or stay if you activate again. He can't carry thimgs for you, but he will fight though he's not so good at it. If he's killed, he will be replaced the next time you pack and unpack the van.

To find the wagon, check latest rumors in Balmora (once youy're past the Solstheim BS). and check your journal.
===============
2. Requirements
===============
Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon are required.

========================
3. INSTALLING THE PLUGIN
========================

Extract the contents of the zip to your data files folder.

=====================
4. PLAYING THE PLUGIN
=====================

From the Morrowind Launcher, select Data Files and check the box next to the "Gypsy Van.esp"
(name of mod.esp)

===============
5. SAVE GAMES
===============

There should be no effect on saved games, though you may want to load the game, save, then exit Morrowind and reload just to be safe.

============================
6. CONFLICTS / KNOWN ERRORS
============================
No known conflicts with other mods. This mod has had some beta-testing, but not extensively. One tester reported CTD on unpacking the van from inventory. I was able to replicate this event after some fifty attempts, then I made some changes and have been unable to cause a CTD since then, even when unpacking the van atop a wall at Fort Moonmoth.

You may occasionally become stuck in graphics on exiting the van, opening the console and typing "fixme" generally solves that, or alternatively, you can simply activate the van, pack it up and then unpack it.
================================
7. CREDITS / PERMISSIONS RECEIVED
================================

Kagz deserves the credit for the exterior wagon.He did it all. except the step, tapestry placement, and side barrels.He released the wagon as a resource, so I presume permissions are open, but it would no doubt be nice if you contacted him before using it. he can be reached by PM at Wolflore.

Neildarkstar then took that exterior, turned it inside out, and made the interior.

Scripting was done by Neildarkstar with assistance on some of it by Stuporstar back when "Scout's Refuge" was made. The script that exits the PC from the van was modified and made from an earlier script, but I don't know who originally wrote it.

Anything I made such as scripts and the interior shell may be used as you see fit. I'd like to hear from you, but it's not necessary to contact me before use.

Kagz and DARoot assisted with testing, Thanks guys!
==========================
8. CONTACT AND INFORMATION
==========================
Contact me at neildarkast@yahoo.com

=========================
9. LEGAL STUFF/ DISCLAIMER
=========================

I did not shoot the deputy. If your computer develops bad habits like smoking, drinking, telling lies, or loses its sanity, I didn't do it. Anything else that may go wrong is no doubt the fault of gremlins. This mod is provided as is, and I claim no responsibility or liability for any damage or discomfort that is the result of its use.

=================
10. ANYTHING ELSE
=================
*SPOILER*

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

To find the wagon, from Balmora go towards Pelagiad, pass Fort Moonmoth and turn right. Follow it South until it dead-ends (do not take the left turn towards Pelagiad as you normally would).

Some Screenies:

GV_19_7.jpg

GV_19_10.jpg

GV_19_12.jpg

GV_19_15.jpg

GypsyVan_v1.19.7z
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 198 times

EDIT:
It's come to my attention that the storage chest inside the van is not "safe", meaning items may be lost after 72 hours of game play. I've made this patch which should fix that, but since containers are notoriously undependable in Morrowind, try it with unimportant items first to be sure.

Just extract and copy (or drag & drop) the patch into your data files folder. If asked to allow overwrite, select "yes". It should not effect savegames, but to be safe, load the game after adding the patch, and while not inside the van, immediately save and exit the game.

Gypsy Van v_1.19_Patch.7z
(7.08 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Re: [RELz] Gypsy Van

Postby Jac » Sun May 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Per Neil's request, Kagz's new wagon models have been split here. Thanks.

This is really cool, Neil. If it had space for a companion, I'd use it in a heart-beat.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby neildarkstar » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:55 pm

So, Jac... You liked the idea of the guar pulling the wagon as I recall, what do you think about this:

GV_HF.jpg

GV_HRF.jpg

GV_HRR.jpg

It's ridable, pulls the Gypsy Van, and doesn't look too stupid unless you watch yourself in 3rd person all of the time. I can't make the wheels turn, but you can't have everything I guess.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby DARoot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Hey I LIKE where you are going with this...
A "rideable" horse, that will also pull your "Gypsy Cart"
{Might want to alter the front/back positioning of the saddle, as shown in your screenshots, but that's an easy edit...]
Have you seen?
Somebody posted (or re-issued, since I think they were originally done by AlienSlof, 'way back when) some BB "Saddle" and "Bareback" riding meshes for download on TesNexus (Morrowind Nexus).

I will definitely consider adding this mod to my game, once you get it finalized.
Keep up the good work!

DARoot
DARoot

Postby Jac » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:11 pm

I've always wanted a ridable horse that I didn't have to train Pegasus ranch style. I love Abot's guards, but even those need to be trained. I tried IWWH, but I fell through the horse while galloping one time. :(
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby neildarkstar » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:02 pm

As it stands right now, the horse does not have to be trained, though the operation is a bit more complicated than I would like. It can be set to follow you companion style or be ridden. I've had to overcome a few things, but most of the basic issues are worked out.

I won't guarantee that you won't fall through the horse, bear i mind that we are doing things that the game just wasn't meant to do. I will tell you a short story...

Once, when I was a teen on our family ranch, my mother saddled a horse for me while I was busy getting other things done during a cattle drive. A little later that day, at a full gallop, the cinch slipped, and I found myself riding upside down under the horse's belly... two seconds before kicking free, and taking the fall that was mandatory. I learned at that time, never to trust someone else to saddle a horse, or indeed do anything for me that my life might depend on.

I will point out that in reality, I might as well have fallen through the horse, the results were exactly the same. The point is that the event you describe has a real-life counterpoint, so perhaps such an event in a game should not be totally unexpected, and is not completely unrealistic. :)

Currently, the van is still carried in inventory and extracted so to speak to be used as sleeping quarters or storage, so when camp is made, you end up with two wagons. I have to rewrite the Gypsy Van script to make the ridable version go away when the other is present, but I've been using it in-game to prove to myself that the concept is valid. So far, it works quite well, wit the main problem being to be aware of attacking critters early enough to get dismounted and ready to fight. Of course, you can run, but that's more complicated than one might think. As it stands, you have to decide before getting on the horse whether you will be traveling at a run or a trot.

This mod will have some rough edges, but it will work.
:biggrin:
Neil
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby DARoot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Oh, I'm all for "falling through the horse" if that is what the mesh (or script) you are using calls for.
(I think I can deal with that.)

What I would like to see, in a Neildarkstar mod, is some "Mr. Ed" type dialogue for the horse.
What great fun it would be, if the Player "clicks on" the horse to ride, and the Horse then says something like, "Well, you've had me pull this godforsaken wagon all this way, and now ya wanta ride me from here to wherever, without a break? Or a rest? Not even a few oats for my trouble? Ask me again in a half-hour..."
or maybe "You DON'T really want to go to Addamasartus. Lotsa bad things (that don't appreciate horses) hang out there..." Or even, "If I've told you once, I've told you twice, Skyrim (and it's second-cousin, Solstheim) is bad for your favorite horse. Ice on the horseshoes [Eeewww!] and cold on the fetlocks [wouldn't want me to get lame on ya, in the middle of nowhere, Eh? So, how's about we go to Suran instead? Huh? Huh?"
Plenty of room for creativity, should you feel the urge...

DARoot
DARoot

Postby neildarkstar » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 pm

Silver to The Lone ranger: "Get off my back!" - (Bill Cosby?) :)
Actually, you do communicate with the horse (have to), and there is the option to feed him too. I may have to do a "DARoot special edition"... :D

I found the saddle you were talking about. Does anyone know how to contact dereko (or dereko1)? He did not specify permissions, and required Pegasus Horse Ranch as a required mod. It's not specifically a modder's resource, so I'd like to get permissions before using it... Of course I could just mention in the readme that that saddle would work...

I'd also like to find a way to contact Mad Max. I've tried all of the defunct websites and email addy's for him, and I don't know where else to look. The script I' using was originally his, though I downloaded it from PES uploaded by a different individual, I think. the script in modified form is also available in "Reign of Fire" as modified by that individual, but I'd like to get permission from Mad Max if I can. Any suggestions?

I doubt that the mesh or the script called for falling through the horse... Remember, we're dealing with collision and Morrowind here. Where else can you get stuck in a rock or fall through a door, or just drop nto the Odai river where Balmora used to be...

I was just pointing out that shit happens, and game events that have real life counterparts are not unrealistic, rather the reverse.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby DARoot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Tonto to the Lone Ranger:
"What you mean "we," Kemo-sabe?"

You do what you do, and we will appreciate.
Walk in beauty...

DARoot
DARoot

Postby neildarkstar » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 am

It's come to my attention that the storage chest inside the van is not "safe", meaning items may be lost after 72 hours of game play. I've made a patch available at the end of the original post which should fix that, but since containers are notoriously undependable in Morrowind, try it with unimportant items first to be sure.

Just extract and copy (or drag & drop) the patch into your data files folder. If asked to allow overwrite, select "yes". It should not effect savegames, but to be safe, load the game after adding the patch, and while not inside the van, immediately save and exit the game.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Next

Return to Neildarkstar's Mods