[RELZ] Customize Bard Music in Skyrim

A place to download and discuss my mods. No adult content please.

[RELZ] Customize Bard Music in Skyrim

Postby Jac » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Game: Skyrim version 1.9.32.0 and Hearthfires
Mod Name: Customize Bard Music
Version: 1.0
Author(s): Jac

Description: This mod allows you to customize the music you hear from bards with your own. Also, the music won't pause whenever you're in a menu, reading a book, or talking to an NPC.

Installation: Extract the folder to your main Skyrim folder: jac_customizebardmusic.esp should be in the main data folder and Sound\fx should have a folder named jac.

In the Sound\Fx\jac folder, you'll find 16 Windows wav files. All of these files are 1 second silent files. To add your own music, you'll need to create/convert .wav files using the following format: 11025 Hz (352kbps) bit rate and stereo output (can also use mono, but the files are set up as stereo in the CK. Each music file needs to be 3:30 in length, otherwise you'll have silence if it's shorter or it'll be cut off if it's longer.

After you've converted your music files, activate the mod with whatever manager you like or the Skyrim launcher and request a bard to play a specific instrument.

Uninstallation: Uncheck jac_customizebardmusic.esp. This mod uses no scripts, so deactivating in the middle of a game shouldn't cause any issues.

Change Log: 1.0 Initial release.

Known Issues: I've tried different bit rates and the 352kbps seems to be the one that Skyrim will play properly. If somebody finds a higher bitrate that works, please let me know.

I couldn't find a volume control in the CK; so if your music is too loud, you'll need to use an audio program to lower the volume.

I haven't tried other file formats because the original songs were wav files. MP3s might work, but they're untested.

Thanks To: Bethesda for making the game.
Elaura for helping me test it.
DarkWolfModding for the Readme Generator.

Customize bard music.7z
(14.29 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Re: [WIP] Change Skyrm bard instrumentals.

Postby neildarkstar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 am

Not to side-track the thread, but... you mentioned that the songs still play while you're reading, and I that got me to wondering, how hard would it be to make a Skyrim mod like your "Passing the time" mod for Morrowind? That was one of my favorite mods, by the way. I'm always finding my character at 6 in the evening or so with little to do. It's too early to go to bed, and to late to start anything, unless you're a thieving character. So, I read a book, then estimate a reading time, and just wait for that amount of time. It works, but it's unsatisfactory somehow.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Re: [RELZ] Customize Bard Music in Skyrim

Postby Jac » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:47 pm

I had to add a script to every book in Morrowind for that mod to work, Neil. I'm sure it could be done in Skyrim, it would just be very tedious unless SKSE has a function to detect when a player was reading a book.
Jac
The Boss

Postby Jac » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:44 pm

I checked, Neil, and it looks like I'm going to have to attach a script to every book to make them pass the time. I'll have to think about that because it'd be a lot of work.
Jac
The Boss

Postby neildarkstar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:26 pm

Jac wrote:I checked, Neil, and it looks like I'm going to have to attach a script to every book to make them pass the time. I'll have to think about that because it'd be a lot of work.

Ah, well.... It was just a thought. :)
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Return to Jac's Mods