Mass Effect Andromeda

Mass Effect series games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Mass Effect Andromeda

Postby Adul » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:50 am

I haven't played this game yet, and so far I haven't heard too many good things about it, other than apparently the combat is good. There is currently a massive online backlash aimed at the supposedly unpolished facial animations, bad dialog, and cringey performances. I've also heard criticisms that the game has ventured even farther from its RPG roots. Hearing things like that doesn't exactly make me want to sacrifice precious time to visit this galaxy.

I don't know what Bioware is doing, but looking at their players' feedback, it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone got any firsthand experience? Or are you guys planning on playing this?
Adul
Warden

Re: Mass Effect Andromeda

Postby Jac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:55 am

I'm waiting for a sale, but Gopher has a good first impressions video:

I'll probably get it after the price comes down and some patches are released. I can understand Bioware wanting to branch out from the original trilogy since Shepard's story is done, but I'm with you, Adul, I don't know what they're thinking. Hopefully they can pull it back from the edge.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Fenrir » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:39 pm

I've been waiting for this, hello.
Been a Mass Effect fan for quite some time. Yeah, I heard all the bad press, rather unavoidable when excited for a game, but I bought it day one anyway.

So first, let me be completely honest. The animations are as bad as they say. The game has bugs, absolutely. What game, and certainly what game of this size, does not?

However, let me also say - The game is extremely fun. The writing can be goofy, but I rather think it works with the more youthful feel your crew is intended to have. Ryder is generally far more likeable than Shepard, depending on how you play him. Mine's a smug, goofy idiot who shit talks his enemies and leaves no man behind. It's fun.

The combat? Oh, hell yes. Fun as all get out. Dashing around, jumping up and hovering to finish off some Kett hiding behind cover, it's a blast. It's everything good about the trilogy's combat, with plenty of new toys and tricks to make it feel like new. Hell, I've even been playing around with the other skill trees. I've never played Tech in the trilogy, and even Tech is fun in this one.

Some people will complain about the squad, which of course depends on the person. In my opinion - Your worst squad members are better than the Trilogy's worst. Cora's... Dull, at best, but she's a far step above Ashley. Vetra's even better than Garrus, and Drack surpasses both Wrex and Grunt by far, he's fantastic. Liam's your buddy cop, Jaal's happy to help, and Peebee... Well, you get used to her. Not to mention the new crew.

Some will also say the Squad you bring with you is useless, but seriously, use your squad commands and watch. They will do their job, you just need to let them. (sometimes you don't even need that, Drack has stolen so many of my kills)

All in all? It's a space adventure. A little fun, a little goofy, sometimes serious. I love it. If you can look back some bad animations and a bit of a slow start, trust me, it picks up, and it picks up hard.

And do yourself a favor. Explore. Seriously. These maps are bigger than you think. I've beaten the game and been playing for over a week, and I'm still finding new stuff on the first planet. Hop in your six-wheel and drive off into the sunset. Might see something fantastic, might kill some Kett, might meet a familiar face or two.

TL;DR
I had fun, and I think you'll have fun if you're willing to give it a shot.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby Adul » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:38 pm

After seeing some gameplay videos, I think I'll pass. It looks like they really went all out "streamlining" this "RPG", continuing a trend that I hate with a burning passion. BioWare may have made some of my favorite games, but that was a different BioWare. Those people are gone by now, I'm pretty sure of that. I'd just get annoyed playing this game.
Adul
Warden

Postby Fenrir » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:41 pm

If you have any questions about how specific things work, I'm happy to answer.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: Stray Dog

Postby Adul » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:28 am

That's alright Fen, I've seen enough. And hey, I'm glad if you enjoy the game, it's just not for me. BioWare doesn't owe me anything.
Adul
Warden

Postby soap » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Here's my go to guy for in-dept, detailed look at games, with spoilers. (very comprehensive)

His videos are straight forward.

I too have decided to pass on it the moment I started hearing about the end product. I have better games waiting for me to be played.
soap
Banner God
Banner God

Return to Mass Effect Series