Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect series games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Mass Effect 3

Postby Jac » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:32 pm

I enjoyed the first Mass Effect, found the 2nd one to be fun (I didn't like the revamped character system though), and can't wait for the third one to come out. I've been thinking about going through the first two again with an Infiltrator because I think my old saves may be lost. That and I miss shooting aliens with a sniper rife. :evilgun: Anybody else looking forward to the third installment?
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Re: Mass Effect 3

Postby Kitsune » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:35 pm

I liked the first one, many ways to play..But the second one just dumbed it down in my opinion. It went from having to use skills and proper items to running around with your starting items just shooting. So unless 3 requires some semblance of understanding the game I won't buy it.
Kitsune
Journeyman

Postby Michael Valentine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:08 pm

From what Bioware says, it's going to focus on a climatic battle for Earth, with you needing to rally all the other races behind you to take on and destroy the Reaper threat once and for all.

...Which is perfect in my eyes. Because almost word for word, that's what I was REALLY hoping for. I do hope you can make the Geth and Quarians kiss and make up and have them in an epic collaboration with one another fighting side by side to take back Earth. Oh. Yes. :shades:

As for the previous installments. ME1 was great and a classic to me, and I think it has a more powerful story. ME2, I was highly impressed by all the cinematic power. What I didn't like was how they removed the inventory system, and as Kitsune said, dumbed it down. But I thought the game was enjoyable enough to overlook all that. My only concern is they don't dumb it down even more for ME3.
Michael Valentine
Associate

Location: Somewhere, Trying not to creep Elaura out. Possibly failing I think.
Title: The Mephistopheles

Postby swordsman5 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:35 am

That seems to be the way that many games are going though....make it pretty graphically and simple enough so a 3 year-old can play it. Bad move IMOH.
If it were to rain soup....I'd have a fork!

swordsman5
Sensei

Title: Sensei

Postby Kitsune » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:26 am

Which is why..More of my money is going to indie game companies.

Either way, yes Mass Effect 3 sounds like it will be a good finish but, if I can't enjoy the gameplay it will simply be a waste of my time to play to get more endings then one. This is maybe the only reason I beat Mass Effect 2 twice, yet beat the first one six times.
Kitsune
Journeyman

Postby Michael Valentine » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:50 pm

swordsman5 wrote:That seems to be the way that many games are going though....make it pretty graphically and simple enough so a 3 year-old can play it. Bad move IMOH.

Aye, sadly true. I hope this turns around soon. I miss the challenging and innovating games of old. Which is how a game should be rather than a brainless run-through that they are slowly turning into.
Goodness me, it appears I am not immune to nostalgia. Oh well.

To get back on topic before I start hearing the ever so familiar sound of a tapping foot. I will no doubt be purchasing Mass Effect 3. I'm hoping it isn't dumbed down, but. If nothing else, to complete the series, and to finish the story. I have little doubt that I will enjoy the story even if the gameplay is mediocre at best. But I'm hoping for a great level of both fields.
Michael Valentine
Associate

Location: Somewhere, Trying not to creep Elaura out. Possibly failing I think.
Title: The Mephistopheles

Postby Jac » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:31 pm

One thing Bioware is good at is listening to their fan base. I think the changes in ME2 came about because of complaints about how ME1 worked. If enough people have shown their displeasure about those changes, they'll probably be reverted back. One only has to look at how long Bioware supported NWN before being pulled off of it to see how they take care of their customers - they released the original game in 2002 and released the last patch in 2009 or so.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Occam's Razor » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Hmm, well I think ME1 had too many options and a few unnecessary options, on the leveling up character screen and I think ME2 had too little options,
also, I HATED Jack, she was such a Textbook Stereotypical Character, I never brought her on a mission unless
it was one of those missions where I had no choice but to bring her, and I just let her rot down in the engine room,
just because I couldn't stand anything about her.

ME2 it was easy to become OP also, just take that Gravity Suck power and the power that makes everybody float, and that other power where it heals you and kills them, unstoppable.
I think the combat system was better and more streamlined in ME2, when I go back to ME1 the combat system annoys me a bit.

My other dislike of ME1 is that stupid Land Rover you have to drive all over the planets......that's annoying,
as annoying as the probing for minerals to make upgrades in ME2, but both are nowhere near as damnably annoying as
that stupid Flying "Mini-Game" that almost killed Jade Empire for me, if it wasn't for a trainer so I could get through those screens
in God-Mode so I could get to part of the story, I would've quit the game.

I really hope they make a Jade Empire Two, the idea was Fresh
There are two rules for success:
1) Never tell everything you know…
Occam's Razor
Associate

Postby Kitsune » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:09 pm

You sir, have no played Mass Effect 1 correctly. No option is unnecessary, each is a form of play and style of play. I can play the solider running around using just guns, but that won't get me far. On the other hand I can play, the sniper who picks off people from afar, the person who uses technology to his/her advantage or even the person who tosses people around. Where as in ME2, they only real way to play is run around shooting without concern of what or how to use abilities. Simply put, ME1 allowed you to form your own style, while ME2 gave you no choice.

Jack is not a stereotype..Purely a perception you have formed. Jack is actually a very deep character. More so then other characters. She has the whole range of emotions if you play with her, less predictable then others in response. Which is what she is suppose to have. She was a lab experiment, she is suppose to be a unstable person who had fixations on things. If you want stereotype look at Cerberus a stereotype prohuman organization, evil and willing to do anything to assure humans dominance, without doing anything like diplomacy or trade to get what they need. They take the "evil" way of doing everything they can. The sidequest for Miranda were the most stereotypical thing of all bioware games in my opinion. ME2 simply dumbed it down a lot and got rid of a lot of the fleshed out characters and worlds that Bioware was good for.

ME1, the land rover was partly optional, and gave depth to the world size helping to make the world and game feel larger. The ME2, required probing?! I just skipped that my first play through, and then just used a guide to know what planets to go to to save time.

But, this are purely matters of opinions.
Kitsune
Journeyman

Postby Occam's Razor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:01 pm

"Just a matter of opinion"?
You practically took my head off with your first sentence that I haven't played Mass Effect 1 correctly.
Where's your data on this?
Unless you were looking over my shoulder when I played the game from beginning to end SEVERAL times, how can you say I haven't played it correctly?
What you're saying is, I haven't played it the way YOU played it, and how YOU think I should've played it.

Why not just chill out?

You quite Clearly missed my entire point about the Level Up screen comparison in ME1 vs ME2

None of us here are going to play a game the same way, and I was merely offering MY OPINION, on what I
liked and disliked about ME1 and ME2, it was only MY OPINION, nothing more, and certainly nothing to get flamed for.

I've played through it several times, and each as a different class.
What I feel was unnecessary in ME1 was having to spend skill points on silly things such "Persuade" or "Intimidate" and other 'petty' skill that just use up skillpoints.

As for Jack not being a Stereotype? You'll meet Jack again,in DA2
but this time he's a guy and his name is Fenris.

Jack is completely stereotyped, "seen her character a million times" from Movies, Books, and other games, especially Anime, that stereotypical "emo, angst, loner"
who's tough and shrugs off any sign of affection, almost every Hollywood and Anime movie has a character like that.
Take a look at ALIENS...the "Tough" Woman in that movie was a small piece of what Jack was built on..

As far as no choice in ME2? You sound like you are set to hate every sequel that bioware comes out with, you've practically stated as such,
you dislike DA2 and have criticized it, you've done the same with ME2, Personally there's parts of Both DA1 & 2 I like and dislike and there
are parts of ME1 & 2 I like and dislike, but to just automatically HATE ME2 and DA2 just because they aren't ME1 and DA1 seems a bit extreme.

I made choices in ME2, I thought ME2 was fun, and as I said in my previous post, the character level up screen could've used more options,
but not as many options as the character level up screen in ME1

As far as DA2, I'm enjoying the level up screen with the SKill Trees, I prefer the skill tress over the old skill system, however, but I wish there were more skill trees.
I'm using a mod that lets everybody have the maximum amount of skill trees, so that helps out a lot

The Land Rover was 'optional' just as the 'probe' is "sort of" optional, but the flying game in Jade Empire is optional too, but if you don't DO the flying Game in Jade Empire
there's an Entire Quest and Story that you don't unlock, that gets you a couple of powerful items.

Same with the Probe, there's no upgrading the Ship, Weapons, Armor etc, without Probing, and I don't use Guides, that spoils the game for me.
Using the Mako in ME1 was optional for some things, required for a couple of missions, but just like the Flying Mini-Game in Jade Empire, if you skipped the Mako in ME1 and Probing in ME2
you missed out on some stuff.
I just wish bioware would do away with the minigames, they don't have them in NWN or Dragon Age, they shouldn't be in anything else.
There are two rules for success:
1) Never tell everything you know…
Occam's Razor
Associate

Next

Return to Mass Effect Series