Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect series games and game mod discussion. No adult content, please.

Re: Mass Effect 3

Postby Elaura » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Let's see . . . where do I start? Okay, how about this:

There will be NO opinions expressed about other members, their likes, dislikes, personal tastes, or how they play their games! NONE! NEVER!

There is NO wrong way to play a game, especially not a SINGLE PLAYER game.

This includes lambasting someone and then adding at the end "but that's just my opinion", "just joking", or "/sarcasm". Smilies are useful in indicating mood, but they aren't foolproof. If you think it's even remotely possible your post will be taken the wrong way, believe me, it WILL; either re-phrase it or don't post it.

If people want to remain members of Wolflore, they can get that through their heads right now, or be penalized!

One last thing, there are differences between discussion, debate, and argument. If you don't know what those differences are, go look it up. We don't allow public arguments at Wolflore, so everyone chill out, rein it in, or button it up.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Some Mass Effect 3 Details Confirmed

Postby Michael Valentine » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Well, I was looking over some news articles for ME3, and found one particular topic about some details for ME3, which I was able to confirm. And so, for anyone who wishes to hear details and features of the upcoming Mass Effect 3, here are some very nice ones.

It contains some minor spoilers though, so it'll be in a spoiler tag for those who wish to know nothing until they receive the game.

OK, made a brief scan of the forum and didn't see it posted, so here comes the link: source

And the actual info for those who don't like clicking.

- Game begins with Shepard on Earth
- Shepard is on trial in regard to the events of Arrival
- Reapers invade while the trial is happening
- Prologue: Shepard’s escape to the Normandy, off to start finding allies, fighting Reaper troops
- Squadmates include Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus, James Sanders
- Screenshot shown of Ashley with her hair down
- Confirmed appearances (may not be squadmates): Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson
- Game will show a “previously on Mass Effect” comic to make decisions if you’re starting from scartch
- The Illusive Man plays a big role
- Cerberus is out to kill Shepard
- Enhanced RPG elements
- More freedom with character skills
- Larger skill trees
- Powers will evolve several times, not just once
- Weapons are like the ones in Mass Effect 2, have a set list
- Mods returning, swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes (effect both the weapon’s combat performance and its appearance)
- All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now,
- There will be limited slots to carry these weapons
- Soldier can carry all weapons at once
- Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will likely be limited to two weapons, three for Vanguard and Infiltrator
- Numerous endings
- Who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit greatly impact the endings that are available
- No multiplayer

Just about every one of those details, particularily "- Enhanced RPG elements", which I hope means what I think it means, and the part about squadmates, give me no little amount of joy. It appears Bioware is correcting the mistakes they made in ME2, as well as including loved elements from both games.
Michael Valentine
Associate

Location: Somewhere, Trying not to creep Elaura out. Possibly failing I think.
Title: The Mephistopheles

Re: Some Mass Effect 3 Details Confirmed

Postby Jac » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Hopefully it'll play differently than the last one. Moving from #1 to #2 was a big shock in game play to me and I didn't particularly like that shock. :ninja:
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby FigureSculptor » Sat May 07, 2011 12:14 pm

I've heard opinions similar to Jac's from many hardcore RPG gamers. Can't say I share it though. I played ME2 first (yes, late to the game), liked it a lot, so went back and played ME1 afterwards… and didn't finish it. Opted for a second playthrough of ME2 instead because I found ME1 to be a letdown. Most everything that they changed from ME1 to ME2 made it, for me, a better experience and a better game.

While I can't say that EVERY decision they made going ME1 to ME2 was necessarily better, but the sum whole was very much better for me, personally. Evidence (including sales figures and reviews) suggests that that's true for a great many others, as well.

Now, I'm not really a "hardcore" RPG gamer at this point in my life. I don't have the time to be. I have a very limited amount of gaming time available each week (usually 4-6 hours over the weekend). If I have two hours available to game one evening, it's not all that satisfying if I spend all of it running around a sandbox world without any noticeable movement in the plot. There was a time in my life when I could start gaming in the early evening and stay up until 4:00 in the morning until I found some elusive goal or had explored every nook and cranny of some level, but I can't now.

And guess what? A larger and larger percentage of BioWare's market can't either. BioWare's trend, and I don't expect it to change, has been towards broadening the market by making the games more inclusive, more approachable, and more cinematic. They want to make games that as many people as possible will enjoy (and will therefore buy), which includes people both smarter and dumber than you and both men and women, regardless of age, race, or sexual orientation.

I suspect the changes from 2 to 3 will be similar in scope to the changes from 1 to 2, but I doubt they will move back to what they did in ME1 in very many respects. They will incorporate feedback, but they're going to incorporate feedback from everyone, not just the 20% who consider themselves "hardcore rpg gamers" who pine for the days of Ultima, Bard's Tale, or whatever RPG game they liked in the past that had a bazillion options executed brilliantly in text and 16-bit graphics.

Everything's a tradeoff. To make the game more inclusive, and to have it be fully cinematic, with spoken dialog, (moderately) expressive and (moderately) realistic animations, there's just a limit to how many different story paths and options they can provide. Knowing a little bit about game development budgets, I'd guesstimate ME2's budget was $30-40 million, maybe even more (AAA console titles rarely get produced for less than $10M, and the first game sold enough to justify a higher budget).

Look at it from BioWare's standpoint. Mass Effect 1 sold 2 million copies and had a MetaCritic score of 91. Mass Effect 2 sold 5 million and had a MetaCritic score of 96. To quote Clay Johnson, "I punch those numbers into my calculator, they make a happy face".

That's not to say that your complaints aren't valid, just that the market realities mean that hardcore RPG'ers probably are going to get less and less of what they want from big-budget games because big-budget games need a wider audience than that to cover the production costs. I wouldn't even really consider the ME series to be an RPG game, honestly… it's more of a cinematic choose-your-own-story novel for grownups.

But, it's a really, really good cinematic choose-your-own-story novel for grownups. My only real complaint is about how they caved to public pressure and made the romance options and cinematics all PG-rated. The game's rated M, but there's no nudity, only a little risqué dialogue, and cartoon-level violence. Oh, also, the awkwardness of the romance dialogue bugs the fuck out of me too. Overall, BioWare's writing is top-notch, but any time they get into writing romance dialogue, it's just horribly hokey, awkward, and painful to watch. If they make us sit through that, they should at least reward us with a little flesh. :)
FigureSculptor
Associate

Postby Jac » Sat May 07, 2011 2:28 pm

I liked Tali's romance, which is why I pursued it versus Jack's or Miranda's. That and of the three, she was the most...stable? Jack was fucked up from childhood and had a ton of baggage and Miranda was as arrogant as the day is long, neither of which appeal to me. I haven't tried any of the male romances, but if I were to play a female and pursue one, I'd go with Thane or Garrus because I like how those characters were portrayed. The biggest issue I have with the changes was the inability to change my squadmates' armor without either unlocking their loyalty or purchasing and downloading one or both alternative appearance packs. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to ME3 and doubt I'll be disappointed. Despite the changes, I still enjoyed the 2nd one enough to play through 3 times now. :biggrin:
Jac
The Boss

Postby Jac » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Reading through the Wiki, I see that one will be able to change Shepard's appearance and class, which is a good thing because I screwed up on my current soldier's face.
Jac
The Boss

Postby darthsloth74 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:34 pm

I really am looking forward to Mass Effect 3. The only concern I have is this Origin DRM I've heard about that EA seem to be obsessed with. As a die hard Bioware fan I just hope I don't have to jump through too many hoops to enjoy the game that I pay for.
A comment by a friend of mine:

Now every idiot that needs a crash helmet is online writing documentation for wikipedia and wisegeek.com
darthsloth74
Apprentice

Title: Sloth Lord

Postby Jac » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:01 pm

If you've ever installed Steam, you'll have no issues with Origin. They do the same thing, Origin is just EA's attempt to milk the digital distribution cash cow.
Jac
The Boss

Postby darthsloth74 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Jac: Good to know. I assume Origin has a play offline mode like Steam. Besides despite its annoying nature I can put up with Steam, its DRM is nowhere near as insane as Ubisoft's.
A comment by a friend of mine:

Now every idiot that needs a crash helmet is online writing documentation for wikipedia and wisegeek.com
darthsloth74
Apprentice

Title: Sloth Lord

Postby Jac » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:47 pm

I believe it does. I've never installed it for one of my games so I'm not exactly sure how the online thing works with it. I do know that you have to activate your game using it before you can play. Outside of that I'm not sure. If EA's smart, they'll have put in an offline mode.
Jac
The Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Mass Effect Series