A long and winding road.

Delicate thoughts of a dangerous mind.

Re: A long and winding road.

Postby Jac » Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 pm

We should know something tomorrow, PP.
Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Postby Jac » Fri May 24, 2013 3:35 pm

It's a boy! Sorry, I meant to say benign. It turns out the lump was a fibrous mass that's 100% benign, but we're going to be keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't grow, change or move. I'll let E fill you guys in on all of the details. Now we're just waiting for the results of her pap smear.
Jac
The Boss

Postby fleet » Fri May 24, 2013 3:45 pm

:bouncy: :wave:

Hoorah!!!
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
fleet
Enforcer

Postby neildarkstar » Fri May 24, 2013 4:07 pm

:drunk: Terrific! ...AND, a great excuse for a party, eh? :biggrin:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Jac » Fri May 24, 2013 6:31 pm

There's never a need for an excuse for a party, Neil. :drunk:
Jac
The Boss

Postby Elaura » Fri May 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Jac gave you all the short of it: all samples, 100% benign.

The long of it . . .

To begin with, I misspoke a little about the actual biopsy. What I really had was a combination of Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA), and a Core Needle Biopsy (CNB). I wasn't wrong, but I left off half the terminology. It also explains why only one of the needles was technically "fine".

The results:

Fibrocystic Changes with ductal hyperplasia. The part I didn't catch over the phone is kinda important; it's whether or not the hyperplasia is with or without atypia. If it's Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia (ADH), that isn't quite as good as it could be. However, since everybody from the VA and the Breast Center said it's 100% benign and I have nothing to worry about other than yearly mammograms, I'm guessing it's Typical Ductal Hyperplasia.

To start, the term "fibrocystic changes" or FCC includes all sorts of changes within the breast in both the glandular, connective tissue (lobules and ducts) and stromal tissues. It used to be called "fibrocystic disease." At least half of all women have it at some point. I basically had a cyst wrapped in a fibroid tumor and now, since it was aspirated, I have a fibroid tumor.

Ductal Hyperplasia (also known as duct epithelial hyperplasia or proliferative breast disease) is an overgrowth of abnormal cells that line the ducts, as in milk ducts.

Hyperplasia can be mild, usual (without atypia), or atypical (ADH). This is the order of best case to worst case (still talking benign here) and is determined by examining the arrangement of the cells biopsied under the microscope. Best case (mild) is at no more risk of developing cancer than someone without it. Usual, without atypia, is slightly higher risk, about 1 1/2 to 2 times better chance of developing cancer over time. Worst case (ADH) is being 4 to 5 times more likely to develop breast cancer than a woman with no breast abnormalities to start with. About 20% of women with ADH will develop invasive cancer within 15 years of their biopsy.

What does it all mean? :surprised:

It means that from now on, I get yearly mammograms instead of every five years and also that I can look forward to having more biopsies in the future if I develop any other lumps. As grim as that sounds, it actually puts me in a better place than not knowing. A cancer would have to be pretty fast-growing and invasive to have me beyond cure in a year's time and from now on, the radiologist will know to go over my films with a fine-toothed comb. I can deal with that.

It sounds to me, if I'm right about the diagnosis being usual hyperplasia without atypia, I'm in about the same boat breast-wise as I am cervix-wise with being HPV positive. Since the HPV strain wasn't of a virulent type when it was diagnosed a few years ago *and I'm no longer smoking*, I'm only slightly more at risk than someone without it and when anything changes, they'll just have to look at it more closely.

So there we are. I should get the results of my pap early next week, although with Memorial Day I'll give them until Thursday before I call back. Thanks for all the good thoughts and well wishes. I have no plans on closing this thread any time soon, so feel free to continue posting! Time for some Borderlands 2!
Last edited by Elaura on Fri May 24, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: bad link and typos
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Drakkmore » Fri May 24, 2013 10:49 pm

:biggrin: Elaura I am so very happy for you that the mass is begnin!!!! :-D
I have been waiting to post here because I Did not want to jump the gun, and say anything that might make you feel worse, or even make you or Jac upset with me. You have no idea How relieved I am that you have not the cancer, and I hope all goes just as well with the Pap results when you get them back.
I am hopping for the best any way just for you, and Jac to not have to have any more stress for a little while any way. You guys have had more then your fair share this year, and you do not need any more.

Be well be safe, and be happy now.
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby PiNK PiPER » Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 pm

Oh happy news :goodjob: This calls for ice cream cake :pegasus:
and I forgot to thank you for the compliment on my new avatar. I agree with you that it is beautiful. Spirited Treasure made it for me XD
PiNK PiPER

Postby Adul » Sat May 25, 2013 4:20 am

I'm very happy for you! And congratulations on your outlook as well - I agree with you that having tests yearly is a good thing, even if it can be a pain in the behind. :biggrin: Better safe than sorry and all that.

:bouncy:
Adul
Warden

Postby Jac » Sat May 25, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks guys. We'll keep y'all informed.
Jac
The Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome to my parlor . . .