Who am I, really?

Delicate thoughts of a dangerous mind.

Who am I, really?

Postby Elaura » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:19 pm

I know we have some folks here at Wolflore still toeing the party line despite the fact it is becoming clearer and clearer the US, in its rush to show the world we're really sorry for the whole slavery thing, elected a man with absolutely no qualifications to the highest office simply because we wanted to see a black president in our lifetime.

I do not agree in the "It's Bush's fault" line. I don't agree he was undereducated, unqualified, incompetent, ruthless, insane, mean, or a drug addict. I think that's just the flip side of the "Obama is our savior" attitude. If Obama was our savior, then that had to mean everything the previous administration stood for was evil and Bush was the devil.

To those people, I say grow up and open your damn eyes!

Stop voting with your heart, or in Clinton's case, your vaginas, and start doing your own research. A community organizer brought up in a muslim school system? Come on.

I don't believe in "if you're not with us, you're agin' us." I don't believe that "if you open that door a crack, the floodgates will open and you'll never be able to close them."

However, I do believe a man who has actually served in the military, held the highest office of one of our largest states, and whose father was not only the head of the CIA but also a vice president and a president has better qualifications than a community organizer when it comes to war!

How could anyone expect anything to turn out differently? Our Secretary of State is a treasonous bastard who protested a war we were currently fighting while still in the US military. Frankly, all bets are off. All the players currently on the world stage are inexperienced and more than slightly out of their depth.

Furthermore, no member nation of the UN is without blame in the mess the world is currently in. The rest of the West (and Kenya) seemed perfectly comfortable sending money to support Obama and cheering his name. Hope! Change! A black person as president! This sort of thing happens every time when the people allow their hearts to lead them when they should be using their heads.

For clarification, so I don't get a lot of anti-republican bullshit: I'm a Constitutionalist. The major party I most closely associate myself with is the Tea-party, but I can freely admit it sold out in the last election. I admire Sarah Palin, but I am disappointed that she quit the governorship as well as her support of some candidates last time around. See? This is what it's like to open your eyes and stop being afraid to disagree with your friends.

I do not believe "there should be a law" to protect ourselves from ourselves. I don't need my government protecting me from myself.
I do not believe in freedom *from* religion.
I do not believe abortion should be illegal.
I do not believe public school should be mandatory.
I do not believe in "No child left behind"
I do not believe in the government having any say in the religious institution of marriage. Any two competent adults should be able to enter into a civil union and have that union dissolved with all the legal paperwork that may entail. Marriage is a religious institution and always has been.
I do not believe in the sanctity of two and only two genders. Anyone who has ever bothered to pay attention in a biology class should know better than that.

Just because your party says they stand for something, doesn't mean you have to defend it at the top of your lungs. Be your own person. Make your own decisions, and stop believing everything CNN, Foxnews, BBC, and Al Jazzera tell you. These are not my beliefs because I am a Constitutionalist. I am a Constitutionalist, because these are my beliefs. I served in the US military because I believe in my country. I still believe in freedom, democracy, and protecting what we have from those who would take it from us. I no longer serve, because I don't think the people in charge believe in the same things.

Finally, I believe the US Constitution is a living document, but it should be amended in the manner originally intended, not by a single person in a black robe in a courtroom.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Re: Who am I, really?

Postby neildarkstar » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:14 pm

Bravo! I don't agree with all of your points, but we agree on a lot more than we disagree on. I quit thinking of myself as a party member, and even as defined by "liberal" or "conservative", really. I spend a lot of time with the Tea Party, but I can't see eye to eye with them. Particularly the Bible thumpers. I've been dead, and I know it sounds wacked, but there's not a thing in the world they can tell me about it... and I'm not about to try to tell them, eh? ;)

I don't really agree about abortion, but if it must be legal it should be retroactive up to about age 25... in the case of congress, forget the age limit, just make it retroactive. :biggrin:

I knew Bush when he was Governor of Texas. I had business that took me to Midland, Tx every year, and we bumped into each other in the course of business. I'll tell you this, the Bush clan are tight-fisted bastards, and sharp in a business deal. Those who called them "stupid" fell for their own PR. Stupid they are NOT. As a side note, Bush did a lot of good for Texas as governor.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:32 pm

As for the abortion thing, it's all in the phrasing. I didn't say I liked it, or think it's a good idea. I just don't think it should ever be made illegal again. The cons outweigh the pros in my experience. As with other "if we open that door" arguments, neither do I believe leaving it legal will encourage people who would otherwise not have sought to terminate their pregnancy, nor do I believe doctors having to justify late-term abortions will open the door to making them summarily illegal.

I don't believe abortion should ever be used as a regular form of birth control and I would prefer not to see my tax dollars used to terminate pregnancy, but I'd sure hate to see the return of the back-room, do-it-yourself method. I'd also prefer young women not be forced to travel across state lines to strange towns and even stranger doctors.

It is just as impossible to prevent desperate women from seeking a way out of an unwanted pregnancy as it is to prevent folks from having sex in the first place. Did I ever mention there were trainees in Basic having sex in the dumpsters, latrines, and even in the chapel? Of the three, I'd prefer they did it in the chapel, at least I wouldn't have to worry about catching the plague from the rats living in the trash.

I'd always heard the Bush family was shrewd. I'd be interested in hearing more about them as people.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:20 am

I didn't have a personal relationship with them, of course. My connection was actually through advertising and some promotional interests regarding baseball, the Rangers in particular. That was an interesting deal as well. Bush was part of a group who bought the Rangers baseball team. He invested half a million or so personally in getting them a ballpark built in Arlington. Anyway, He finagled the deal so that Arlington paid almost all of the expenses in building the ballpark ($200 million or more), and gave the Rangers tax-exempt status on the property itself, which in the end is worth millions as well.

A lot of people were crying foul over tax dollars being used in this manner, but in the end, the ballpark turned a profit for the city in a big economic boost, it was good for the team, and very good indeed for Bush. Everybody involved won in one way or another. That serves as an example of two things... First, idiots don't orchestrate deals of that magnitude and have it come out well, and second, it demonstrates that government can turn a profit under the right circumstances. Government in partnership with private enterprise managed by the private sector can do very well indeed. Stupid yankees took that "good ol' boy attitude and his colloquialisms as a sign of ignorance, and it was... THEIR ignorance.

As Governor, Bush managed to enact large tax cuts that boosted the economy, and concentrated on faith based welfare programs as an aid to state social programs. What that meant was that more dollars reached those who needed it by being channeled through existing religious systems, and state expenses were reduced by needing less workers, offices, and paper shufflers in general. His critics point out that more executions were carried out under his governorship than anyone else, but I see that as a reflection of the duality of his nature. While he is more or less benevolent regarding social services and such, he is definitely a "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" sort of a guy. You did it, you're going to pay for it, the court decided your sentence, that's all there is to it. All in all, I'm a fan of Governor Bush, though I'm not so happy with how President Bush worked out.
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:43 am

neildarkstar wrote: Stupid yankees took that "good ol' boy attitude and his colloquialisms as a sign of ignorance, and it was... THEIR ignorance.

A common mistake, I assure you. A woman with manners and a southern accent might as well wear a doormat for an apron.

neildarkstar wrote:All in all, I'm a fan of Governor Bush, though I'm not so happy with how President Bush worked out.

Interesting phrasing. I'm not too happy with how the Bush presidency worked out either, but I suspect we may have different opinions on how successful he really was and how much more successful he could have been without that media monkey on his back all the time. Congress certainly played up to it, which must have felt like a terrible betrayal when his own party was half the problem.

People are always saying how Obama has doomed his party and how Bush doomed the Republicans. Frankly, I see the whole political system as heading for some sort of change. Major, sudden changes in the history of governments are fairly rare throughout history, barring revolution or invasion, so I think the changes will be over a generation rather than over a year or even a decade. I do think; however, probably twenty-five years from now our political system will have changed so much as to be unrecognizable to someone living today.

Fortunately, without the "benefit" of a World or Civil War, hopefully everything that's happened post-Viet Nam will be an end-of-semester chapter in the history books of tomorrow. Meaning, nobody will know what happened, because you always fall behind and school is out before getting to that last chapter.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:30 am

To be honest, I think that the change is going to be more abrupt than you think, and perhaps it's already happened. What I mean is simply that we've moved from a free republic into a technocratic police state. NSA surveillance of all communication, the simple fact that cameras are everywhere, and the ever-increasing capability of facial recognition software, the ability of government to hack phones GPS, turn on phone and web cameras, the list goes on and on.

Now it comes out that NSA agents use their systems to track "love interests"... How long will it be before congressmen, Presidents, and judges are vulnerable to spy agency blackmail? You know there's reason to believe that a Supreme Court justice already changed his vote due to such blackmail... When that is commonplace, parties won't matter, the government won't be governing, they'll be doing as they're told. If they aren't already, eh?

I got into an argument just today regarding facial recognition. Here's the deal. I can't remember now what state it was, but the police have spent a fortune on facial recognition software... and they are really upset because Muslim women cover their faces, and ruin the whole plan. The police want facial coverings banned. So the Christian conservatives were all for forcing the Muslims to unveil, while I don't feel that the government has any expectation of a right to see your face. It has nothing to do with Muslims from my point of view, but with the right of Americans to NOT be tracked by facial recognition. A few years ago, people were all upset because federal agents wrere taking down license plate numbers in church parking lots, how much worse is facial tracking?

Anyway, I'm kinda glad I'm an older guy, I won't likely have to put up with where this is all going... and if I did have to, I wouldn't... :biggrin:
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Raym » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:27 am

@Elaura:

I don't agree with some of your views, but I strongly admire the way you developed them and the reasoning behind them. :)
I don't have a dirty mind. I just have a sexy imagination.
Raym
Lurker Extraordinarie

Postby Elaura » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:20 pm

That's the joy of being a mature adult, Raym. The ability to disagree and still respect one another's views. I love it when a person says, I can see how you've come to that conclusion, whether they agree or not.

That's also one of the things I like about having Wolflore, I can state my views and not feel like someone is waiting in the wings to convert -er- convince, hmm, I wonder if there's a reason those words begin with "con". :D

It took me a lifetime to develop my principles and I'm happy with them.

I hope you're wrong, Neil. A non-violent abrupt change would be unprecedented, historically speaking, but there have been enough unprecedented events in our lifetimes to convince me nothing is impossible. After all, it's taken over twenty years to dig the hole the US is in now, maybe what seems abrupt is really the culmination of a generation of "epic fail". Maybe it's just time to quote Bill Paxton from Aliens:
That's it man, game over man, game over!

On the other hand, I've always been more the Ripley type. :club:
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:36 pm

I've always been a big fan of Ripley... and Sigourney too... :biggrin: Imagine her and Alice teaming up, eh? :dwarf:
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Not too hard on the eyes, either. I love it that Sigourney Weaver rocks a hairstyle Demi Moore couldn't pull off.
Elaura
Chaplain

Next

Return to Welcome to my parlor . . .