The proverbial "Shot across the bow"

Delicate thoughts of a dangerous mind.

Re: The proverbial "Shot across the bow"

Postby Elaura » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Neil, my dear, not everything need be a philosophical debate. :facepalm: This was intended to be a superficial discussion about what people have experienced, themselves, not whether or not the "fates" actually exist.

I'll bet you're a riot when everyone is sitting around the campfire telling ghost stories and you're explaining "tricks of light", "optical illusions", "seismic activity", and "heat signatures". :mockery:

On the other hand, you're story about getting pulled over was poignant. Many times in my life I've arrived "just after" something catastrophic happened at my destination, or along the route. Usually due to something I did that made whoever I was with pissed because we were running late.

For some reason, this reminds me of the time I invited my ex-husband's father along on a trip that was supposed to be "just the two of us". Dad accepted and since my ex was mad at me, they spent the day mostly together. Well, we went home to another state and a week later got the call. His father had passed away suddenly. My ex, who had been holding a slight grudge all week, thanked me on the way back.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Gosh, I wasn't intentionally debating, guess it comes out that way though. :blush:

...and hey, I do a great job around the fire with ghost stories... My grown kids still ask me to tell them about the ghost of the two red eyes... :biggrin:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Debate is in your blood, neil. :lol:

Would you tell us your tale of the two red eyes here? I don't mind trailing off the original topic.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Adul » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Yes, please! You can't just mention two red eyes and then leave it at that. :biggrin:
Adul
Warden

Postby neildarkstar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

The story's a bit involved, and of course is better around a night fire told in an eerie voice with sound effects... but I'll try. Just imagine a dark, dark night, a moan of wind in pines, and a crackling fire, eh? :D

I'm sure I've mentioned that I come from a mining family, hard-headed Scots with enough Irish mixed in to give some people red hair... but the tempers all matched, eh? My uncle Johnny was the most successful prospector in the family, (indeed, in the county) and he spent a lot of time in the wilderness around Baker city Oregon. If you've ever seen "Paint Your Wagon", that was filmed near one of Johnny's claims, so that's what it looked like.

One night Johnny was out prospecting near an old abandoned claim. Rumor had it that it had belonged to a miner who was killed inside the mine by claim jumpers. They found him inside, working with his pick near a deep shaft thathad been sunk years earlier by yet another miner who also died inside. According to the story, the thieves attacked the miner, and while they were fighting, all three of them fell into the shaft to their deaths. The bodies were never recovered, and their broken twisted bodies lie at the bottom of the shaft, locked in an eternal embrace.

Well, Johnny wasn't about to believe stories of cursed gold and haunted mines, he had a fortune to seek, and dig out of the stubborn earth wherever he found it. He set up his dry camp about thirty feet from the mouth of the mine, fixed beans for his supper, and went to bed listening to the sound of approaching thunder and a rising wind moaning in the pines. As he dropped off t sleep, he thought he heard the sound of a pick stricking stone back inside the mine. Alarmed, he sat up, listening intently, and he thought perhaps he heard a whispery, near inaudible voice say "I am the Ghost of the Two Red Eyes".

Eyes wide, Johny strained to hear anything else, or see anything by the dim red light of his dying fire, but there was only a rumble of thunder, and sigh of wind. Finally, he laid back down, and drifted into sleep, dreaming of found gold and... two red eyes...

Sudenly, there was a terrible scream of rage... or fear... or maybe both, eh... from inside the mine, and Johnny jumped up out of bed staring into the yawning black mouth of the mine. He rolled to his feet and grabbed a stout branch from his firewood supply, and moved slowly toward the mine with his heart beating like a miner's pick in a gold rush, but he heard no sound, and saw no movement.

After a time, he went back to his bed, but this time, he slept lightly, and with the heavy branch in his grasp. Drifting into sleep, he listened to sigh of wind and the creak of timber groaning in the night, and again he heard... something.. that sounded like "I am the Ghost of the Two red Eyes" and he dreamed of balefully glowing red eyes from inside the mine. As he watched, in his dreams, the eyes glowed like the burning embers of a fire, and grew as they neared his bed, larger and larger, closer and closer... Suddenly Johnny jumped from his bed swinging the heavy branch like a club with all the strength years of mining had put in his back...

Now wide awake, he faced the specter of the old miner, snarling with the toothy grin of a skull, red eyes filled with fire, reaching with a bony hand to draw Johnny back into that mine, but Johnny just set his jaw, and swung the club again, and again,...and again, and suddenly the phantom was gone, back to the dark mine shaft or back to the pits of hell that had spawned him, Johnny didn't know.

Johnny sat on his bed, and as the first drops of rain began to fall, he took a heavy swig of fine Scotch from the flask he always carried. The rain began to fall in earnest, and Johnny decided there was only one thing to do. He rolled his bedroll, grabbed his pack and tools, and moved into the mouth of the mine where he remade his bed, and tiredly crawled into it.

As he drifted into sleep, Johnny thought he heard a pained voice whimper "I am the Ghost of the Two Black Eyes", and Johnny smiled in his sleep...

Followed by a screamed "GOTCHA!"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:19 am

lol! :lol:
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Adul » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:46 am

Hah, that was a good one, Neil!
Adul
Warden

Postby Elaura » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:33 am

Definitely. Anyone want to share a spooky story? Real or not, serious or humorous. Just let us know somehow whether or not *you* believe it, if there isn't an obvious punchline. No laughing (unless a clear joke) and no debunking!
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Adul » Fri May 30, 2014 10:01 am

I was reminded of this discussion today when I - completely by accident - came across a particular video on YouTube. The author of the video has a channel where he regularly recites ghost stories (a.k.a. creepypasta) he finds on the net, and the interesting part is that the subject of this particular story is Morrowind modding. :blink: What are the odds, right?

Of course, I had to watch the video. It was pretty good, so I thought you guys would appreciate it as well. Without further ado, I present you MrCreepyPasta's rendition of the story of Jvk1166z.esp:

Adul
Warden

Postby neildarkstar » Sat May 31, 2014 12:48 am

Welll... that's, uhh, different. Interesting though, eh? :biggrin:
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome to my parlor . . .