Thank you, Mom!

Delicate thoughts of a dangerous mind.

Thank you, Mom!

Postby Elaura » Fri May 01, 2015 2:33 pm

Ok, ok. Yes, insurance is a scam. However, one of the arguably good reasons to have life insurance is so those who depend on your income to maintain their current standard of living have time to make up for the loss. The basic equation relies on a timetable of about five years.

The downside is that if you are really dependent on that money, it never actually comes before all the bills you couldn't pay without it go into collections and your credit is shot.

On the other hand, you can look at it as my mother did. While I was foolishly making my calculations, Mom was thinking of it as a gift to her children. I had grand plans of re-roofing the house, putting in central air and heat, and refinishing the floors. Silly me. After paying off all of our creditors and reducing our bills to a level we could afford each month, we didn't have enough left for any major home improvement projects (though we were able to get the propane line fixed, the tank filled, and the dishwasher working again).

But Mom always got her way and she still does. We had enough to buy ourselves a couple of presents. So Mom bought Jac a GTX 970 graphics card, she bought us both mechanical keyboards with Cherry MX, and she paid for us to get a king-size platform bedframe and enough layers of foam bedding for me to make my own *custom* Tempurpedic-style memory foam mattress (I'll let you know how that turns out).

One of the very neatest things about this is that we didn't *need* new. We were able to get these things simply because we wanted them. Jac, for the fist time ever, is going to be able to buy The Witcher 3 when it is still new, not wait six months until the price goes down. For my birthday (two months early), we got all three Hobbit movies extended versions, even though we already had one of the movies.

So, I wanted to tell the world that Mom was right. Her life insurance was a gift, not just a necessity. Thank you, Mom. Not just for the stuff, but for that taste of what it's like to have a little more than enough to get by. I really wish you were here to share it with us. :hug:
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Re: Thank you, Mom!

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:13 am

You know, from whatever money that you can salvage, I suggest that you start a recurring deposit. More than enough dough helps you get by.

Just a suggestion
Shadow
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Title: Reaper

Postby fable2 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Personally, I think the cost of insurance should be balanced by the opportunity to kill your local insurance agent. The more money you have to invest, the greater number of hours in any given week and the more varied the weapons you can bring to bear on them. So if you only buy a small, limited policy, you may end up having at best a 10 minute window to chuck spoons at someone, but if you buy a big policy, you should be able to unload a bunch of bubba blades or a Koch MR762 in their direction at least 4 out of every 24 hours.

I mean, fair's fair. :chinscratch:
fable2
Wolflore Staff

Postby neildarkstar » Tue May 05, 2015 11:36 pm

Eh, my mother didn't believe in life insurance. She was paranoid, and convinced that if she had a big policy somebody would murder her for it. At the same time, she was convinced she was immortal and not going to die. Death was a taboo subject, never to be discussed, and she would be here for the second coming of Jesus waiting with open arms, so... when she passed on in 2010, she had no life insurance, nor indeed a will. What a mess! I muddled through though. At least there was nobody else beside me who could possibly inherit anything, so that much was simplified.

For myself, I have a small life insurance policy that I presume will cover final expenses and a little more, but the kids are on their own. Really, there are just too damned many of them to try and provide anything meaningful for in any case. My wife has a policy exactly like mine, and we just laugh every month when the insurance company tells us it's time for a final offer for us to buy more units at the same low price.

I'm leaving my kids a "gift", but the problem for them is that they'll have to find it on their own... and I get to watch from where ever. :mockery:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Return to Welcome to my parlor . . .