I inherited . . .

Delicate thoughts of a dangerous mind.

I inherited . . .

Postby Elaura » Wed May 27, 2015 12:44 pm

This thread is for folks to write down the not-so-great things they've inherited. Some may be serious, others not so much. It doesn't matter if you inherited from a deceased person, or just got left holding the bag when someone else moved out. Explanations are welcome, but not required and some things may be both good and bad, depending on perspective.

I inherited . . .

• A drunk. My mother inherited him from her mother. Deathbed promises he wouldn't end up in the gutter.
  • A senile dog. I do count myself fortunate I didn't inherit a longer-lived pet like a parrot or a tortoise, or even a younger one with a bad attitude, though I did offer to temporarily dog-sit a pit-bull mix that really hates our dachshund. Temporary has become permanent. This dog has cost us over a thousand dollars in vet bills for her and the dachshund and we've had her less than a year.
  • I got stuck with a turtle once, but it stopped eating after a while and died.
  • I inherited a house and land in a location I never would have bought. The house was built in 1975 and never repaired or renovated. In this instance, "inherited" means I bought it from my mother for half what she paid for it, because she needed the money and I had the credit to buy it. Still, it has great potential, being a home and landowner doesn't suck, and here is not the worst of all possible places to be.
  • I inherited two storage units and a house full of stuff we have no clue how to get rid of.
  • In our yard we have a 1991 29' Fifth-wheel trailer that has a new roof and needs a lot of work to be usable, A 1988 Pontiac Fiero my brother couldn't bear to get rid of and a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo that hasn't run or been registered in years. We didn't choose or buy any of them. We only have the title on the trailer. The Fiero has none and the Rodeo is still in my mother's name. Also, in the shop is a 1984 Ford F-250 in our name. My uncle has driven it into the ground and I suspect we'll end up paying the bill for the new carburetor.
  • Did I mention the drunk?
  • A dispute with the local Waste Connections branch which has us burning our trash. On the other hand, they did finally come and get their dumpster out of our yard when I sent them Mom's death certificate. Maybe they'll stop sending the bills eventually?

Okay, who's next?
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Re: I inherited . . .

Postby Fenrir » Thu May 28, 2015 10:01 am

Nothing particularly interesting, just the one dog. Friend of a relative rescued him after being hit by a car. We don't know where he's from or what his previous owners were like. He's loving, protective, needy, and sometimes scared. Any time he does something wrong, he shirks back like he expects us to hit him or he runs away. Makes me want to hit whomever had him before, but oh well.

This is the same dog that fought off two of our neighbor's dogs when they came into OUR yard. He broke off his leash and beat them both away. I don't care what this dog does, he protects us and I love him.
Fenrir
Defender

Title: A Stray

Postby Elaura » Thu May 28, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks for sharing, Fen! He sounds like a very good boy. I think it's wonderful you haven't received any inheritances, at least it means you haven't lost too many people from your life.

My mother so wanted to buy a parrot, once. Her health was not perfect even then and parrots live a very long time. They also tend to imprint on one person and get rather testy when other people or animals interfere with their claim. I think parrots are beautiful, but I had to talk her out of wanting one. I knew I'd end up with it.

Our house is like the family black hole. Everything ends up here and nothing ever gets out. And that's AFTER two fires that burned up a 50' x 20' barn and everything I owned before joining the army. There were years of memories in that barn and I was pretty broken up about a few things, but I was so relieved when I came home and saw the empty spot where it had been. It meant I was never going to have to think about fixing, cleaning, or bringing any of it back into the house ever again.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Adul » Thu May 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Inheriting animals seems to be a common theme here, so I might as well add mine to the list. We inherited the neighbor's cats. Well, "inherited" might not be the correct expression, since the original owners are still very much alive and fine, it's just that we're the only ones who fed the cats with any regularity so they just sort of gradually migrated over to our house over time. Other cats also tend to accumulate here, so now we feed all the alley cats from the immediate neighborhood.

Elaura wrote:My mother so wanted to buy a parrot, once. Her health was not perfect even then and parrots live a very long time. They also tend to imprint on one person and get rather testy when other people or animals interfere with their claim.

As someone living with an eclectus parrot all that rings very true to me, they're more long-term family members than pets. They can't be left alone for very long or they'll grow depressed, and they do get strongly attached to whomever they spend most time with, which of course could also be another parrot. They're very protective, need constant attention, and live almost as long as humans do.

On the other hand, they're amazing companions. :happy:
Adul
Warden

Postby Raym » Thu May 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Haven't inherited anything yet, something I'm grateful for actually; only relatives I have are my parents and my brother, and I love them. And since they would need to be dead before I inherit... :mockery:

Well, I also have a married uncle, but where him to pass away he has a son and a daughter...
I don't have a dirty mind. I just have a sexy imagination.
Raym
Lurker Extraordinarie

Postby Drakkmore » Thu May 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Fenrir wrote:Nothing particularly interesting, just the one dog. Friend of a relative rescued him after being hit by a car. We don't know where he's from or what his previous owners were like. He's loving, protective, needy, and sometimes scared. Any time he does something wrong, he shirks back like he expects us to hit him or he runs away. Makes me want to hit whomever had him before, but oh well.

This is the same dog that fought off two of our neighbor's dogs when they came into OUR yard. He broke off his leash and beat them both away. I don't care what this dog does, he protects us and I love him.

I have to admire your desire to want to repay abusive pet owners for their mistreatment of defense animals pup, but I feel I have to play devils advocate here for a few moments. My Dad two years ago in August lost his Golden Retriever Chase to Osteosarcoma. By the end of the month my dad's best friend was looking around for a new Golden Retriever for my dad. He found a farmer who's two Goldens had gotten together to make puppies, and the farmer was not looking for a lot of money for the puppies either. In the middle of September My dad's friend brought to my dads house a(1) eight(8) week old Golden Retriever puppy (named Chance). Ever since day one Chance will cower for no good reason, or run hiding when he thinks he's done something wrong (not that there is anything that he has done that has been considered "wrong"). Chance has never been beaten since he has been in my dad's care, and as far as I know he was the top puppy on the farm where he was born. I do not know how he was treated at the farm he was born on, but I highly doubt he was ever beaten there either. My point is that sometimes you just get a nervous dog that might have some neuriticies (<-Drakkmore's made up word of the day). Not all animals that might be nervous, or timid have been abused.

As far as inheritances go I've got nothing to add.
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Fri May 29, 2015 12:03 am

You're quite right, Drakk. You made me think of something my brother mentioned. He used to work for a company that trained dogs for all sorts of jobs. Cadaver and drug sniffers, guard and K-9 cops, military dogs, etc. These dogs were bred and often cost the company tens of thousands of dollars to start with, but some just had defects that weren't apparent at first.

He described one that was absolutely brilliant. Learned fast, friendly when need be, did his job beautifully, but he had a physical problem. His body temperature would spike. This was potentially fatal for him so he needed a less active job and had to go. Another dog was also smart, well-trained, friendly when need be and went absolutely bat-shit crazy if anyone touched his favorite toy. Even his handler couldn't do anything with him if anyone went near it. Yet another dog was fine until anyone crossed the plane of his cage/kennel/doghouse. As long as he was allowed to walk out on his own, he was perfect. If anyone stepped inside to clean, or refill water or food, and he got hold of them, it was likely they wouldn't survive.

All of these dogs were treated like royalty from day one. They were all trained and loved being working dogs. NONE were trained to be vicious or to kill. The worst they were ever meant to do was grab and hold. I have to admit, most of the time when domesticated animals cower, they have been mistreated. In fact, I always think when I get a puppy that doesn't try to lick my face off, it's because there was a child in the house that didn't know to be gentle or just liked to pick up the puppies too much. On the other hand, just as humans can be skittish and/or anti-social from birth, so can animals.

I'm glad to see not too many of you have had to experience the prerequisites for actual inheritance; I don't recommend it. But none of you have even been left holding the bag by a roommate or ex that walked out and didn't bother to take all their stuff? Not even an unpaid utility bill? Is it possible I have really been that unlucky? :unsure:
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Drakkmore » Fri May 29, 2015 12:23 am

I've had Roommates take off with out a word, and take my stuff Elaura. I think I might rather have the roommate leave stuff behind. Seriously though no I've never been left holding the bag.
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby neildarkstar » Fri May 29, 2015 7:27 am

I was left holding the bag once. Well, sort of... I had this roommate, and when I left his girlfriend left with me...

When my mother passed, she was without a will. The only good thing was that she really had nothing of value that anybody wanted. I ended up with a collection of junk she'd been accumulating and keeping for 99 years. The only thing she DIDN'T leave behind was my 45 year collection of comic books (containing many one-of a kind issues that included the number one issue of spider man) that I'd left with her for safe keeping. It seems she gave it to the Salvation Army. Ah well, it was only worth a few thousand dollars, eh? :frustrated:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Fri May 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Oh no! The comic books! What was worse? Holding the bag or losing the comic books? I did that once. Went to a party with one guy and left with his roommate. I ended up marrying that one. I'd call it a mistake, because it was, but it's one of the things that brought me to here and now.

You know, I hadn't thought of things I'd lost over the years. Interestingly, I've lost a lot, both to chance and thieving roommates, but the one thing I remember is a nice big cableknit sweater. I had it in college and it was the kind that looked like I was wearing my boyfriend's sweater. That is, if my boyfriend was a linebacker, went way down to my thighs and I could have belted it and worn it as a dress. My bitch of a roommate stole it. It didn't even look good on her fat ass. She looked like a red and blue bumblebee. I have never even seen one to replace it for less than $500.

Okay, we can broaden the scope a bit. What has everyone lost to people who moved out?
Elaura
Chaplain

Next

Return to Welcome to my parlor . . .