Internet Crusaders

Common sense, isn't.

Re: Internet Crusaders

Postby Elaura » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Sorry Nessa. It's a sad truth, but both parties have been wiping their . . . noses . . . with the US Constitution for decades. Youthful idealism generally does start to run dry as one approaches their mid-thirties, some are early, some are late depending on personal experience.

This brings me to your point, neil. When government is constantly telling you there's nothing wrong, idealists want to believe it. When government, supported by the media, is campaigning, politicking, and practicing sleight of hand 24/7 to maintain the status quo, there are far too many people in the world who are willing to believe in it and do nothing.

I think you've misunderstood my position, however. I'm not advocating being quiet and maintaining a low profile, nor am I encouraging anyone to hold their tongue. I'm just irritated with those who do, or have done, all their rebelling online, believing in false anonymity. The same people who are now *horrified* that any government would DARE look at their "private" correspondence. These are likely the same people who were astonished that their employers were using keyloggers on the company intranet. The mistake was in believing 1) that the internet provided any privacy whatsoever to begin with and 2) that movements that are born and raised on the internet won't simply die there if no one actually walks out their front door and does something.

I would never tell someone to roll over and take it, but I do get tired of hearing people say "Why doesn't somebody *do* something?" and the response being "I *did* something, I signed an online petition and started a blog."

Edit: Standing up for what you believe in (in the current political climate) should be accompanied by a name, a face, and a plan.
There really is more to real change than making speeches and throwing parties to raise money.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Postby Nessa » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:36 pm

In regards to having a name, face, and a plan... I personally wouldn't advise it unless you've got somebody to help back you up. Our glorious "free" society has a lovely way of doing away with people who get out of "sync". The party can't allow dissenting opinion, comrade.

err.. :lol:

I used to be an idealist myself. Once that shatters though, you can't put it back together.
Nessa
Journeyman

Title: Queen

Postby Elaura » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Don't really know how I missed this; must've been during one of my many hiatuses - hiatusi - hiatuseses?

In any case, a year later, yeah, I used to be an idealist, too. Then I moved out an got a full-time job.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Mr.Shadow1234 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:10 am

Idealist? I ran out of ideas and inspiration by the time I finished school. No cause is just enough and most of the times, dissent is seen as disobedience and is punished.
Mr.Shadow1234
Protector

Title: Reaper

Postby Adul » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:58 am

I find you need to inject a little bit of healthy idealism into your cynical existence every once in a while, otherwise you will get nowhere either as an individual or as a society. Being stuck in the mud and spinning your wheels tirelessly is not always the way to go, even though it often feels like it's the only thing to do. Some causes are worth paying mind to, some injustices should be corrected. And they are, only very, very slowly. But the system works... sort of... in some parts of the world... some of the time. :biggrin:
Adul
Warden

Postby neildarkstar » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 am

I was an idealist once... Maybe I still am in some perverted idea of what idealism is. Anyway, when I was an idealist, I was an anarcho-capitalist. it took a while for me to catch on that the human race is simply not up to the challenges involved in living free, except for very small numbers of individuals. Oddly enough, most of those people don't get involved in politics in any way, shape, or form.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:17 pm

That's because they are smart enough to know that politics has absolutely nothing in common with freedom.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby neildarkstar » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:46 am

Elaura wrote:That's because they are smart enough to know that politics has absolutely nothing in common with freedom.

I rather enjoy the irony of that statement. I mean, in its essence, government (and thus politics) is the exact opposite of freedom being, in the end, the rule of the many over the few at gunpoint.
:biggrin:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Jac » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Jac
The Boss

Location: Somewhere on the left side of insanity, the right side was taken.
Title: Elder Wolf

Previous

Return to Beauty and Politics