"Plus Size"? Whose definition is that?

Common sense, isn't.

"Plus Size"? Whose definition is that?

Postby Elaura » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Robyn Lawley, 24 year old Australian model.

RL1.jpg
RL2.jpg
RL3.jpg
RL4.jpg

I can't seem to find accurate information on her size. She is said to be size 12, but whether that is US size or Australian is ambiguous. If she is an Aussie size 12, that makes her a US size 8. Ms Lawley is tired of being called "plus size". She is tired of being made to feel like she is part of a niche, rather than simply part of the industry. In short, it sounds to me like "plus size" models are treated as second class citizens in the industry.

Other "plus size models"

Sophie Dahl.jpg
Sophie Dahl
Crystal Renn.jpg
Crystal Renn

While I can certainly understand their point of view, since when I was 18 and a size 12, I was told by my modeling agency if I didn't lose at least twenty pounds I'd never make it in the industry. However, I think the real issue is being missed. These models seem to believe the "plus size" moniker should exist, just not apply to them.

In my opinion, being a true average-sized (though taller than average) American woman, I think what the crazy coasts label as "ideal" should be re-thought. Just as with coffee, calling a small a tall doesn't make it hold more. Calling the average-sized American woman "plus sized" doesn't make size zero any less out of the ordinary. We all know a few women who are size 1-10, but on a bell curve of American women, the true average is not 5-7-9, nor, as the world media likes to believe, are all Americans fat bastards.

While I know full well I have more food, more land, and a better standard of living than 95% of the people of the world, I'm going to narrow the scope of my argument to the modern Western fashion industry. The one that is driven by LA, New York, London, Paris, Rome, etc. The one where models, who have access to the best of the best gourmet foods, starve themselves so they won't look anything like the average woman. The one where the average woman is considered "plus size"; the one where the ideal is an airbrushed stick figure with the curves and androgyny of a pre-teen boy.
Available for weddings, funerals, hand fasting, and baptisms.
Elaura
Chaplain

Title: Mrs.

Re: "Plus Size"? Whose definition is that?

Postby Drakkmore » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm sorry I didn't see any "plus size" women in the pictures any where. Did you edit your post? Seemed to me all of those women were all on the medium portion of skinny. Especially Crystal Renn, That woman needs to eat a LOT more in my opinion.
I have to agree Elaura, that the fashion industry is getting out of hand with their anorexic definition of "plus size". It is disgusting, and deplorable!! People that base their idea of beauty off of the fashion industry need their heads looked at.

Or is that I've been right about the human race since I was in the fourth grade, and that Humans are all stupid idiots incapable of independent thought,and ready to follow the masses in every decision?
I happen to think that that might be just as true as any other explanation. Sorry Human Race, you are nothing but Upright sheep what do every thing anyone tells you to do with out question.
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Drakkmore wrote:Sorry Human Race, you are nothing but Upright sheep what do every thing anyone tells you to do with out question.

Could it be you've fallen into the trap of believing what the media tells you, too? :chinscratch: I like to think there are more people in the world like "us" than like the people the coasts pander to. People who might be fooled sometimes, but not for very long. People who watch great shows until the over-arcing storyline gets in the way and then they *stop*. You know, grownups.

I was reading through a thread about dermoid* cysts recently and some idiot posted to the effect of "don't let the republicans know, or they'll make cyst removal illegal." The poster obviously believes that ALL republicans believe that ALL abortions should be outlawed. I'm guessing that little sheep believes it because that's what the liberal media says. I imagine there are just as many sheep who believe all democrats are Godless, sexual deviants, who want to take your children and your money, because that's what the conservative media says. However, it was just one post out of over a hundred and nobody replied. I hope that indicates that there really is a "silent majority" that sees the bullshit all around us, but is just not ready to say anything about it.

Perhaps it's because when you get up on a soapbox, it suddenly gets difficult for onlookers to tell the difference between rational discussion and irrational ranting. It also makes it a bit easier to get a bead on you.

*EDIT: Oops! forgot to mention what a dermoid cyst is. It is a cyst commonly found on ovaries, but sometimes found elsewhere, that usually contains hair, but can also contain teeth, skin, and rarely, eyes and brain matter. Appears to be the result of stem cells differentiating and maturing into organ systems without the usual reproductive requirements.
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Drakkmore » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:46 pm

Elaura wrote:Could it be you've fallen into the trap of believing what the media tells you, too? :chinscratch: I like to think there are more people in the world like "us" than like the people the coasts pander to. People who might be fooled sometimes, but not for very long. People who watch great shows until the over-arcing storyline gets in the way and then they *stop*. You know, grownups.

I would like to say that you might be right, however I live in a state where this past election day has made it illegal for any one in the state to have an abortion for any reason what so ever. Regardless of the mothers situation.

Of course it is now illegal to smoke, or even use an E-cig inany public building ( or with in 20 feet of the entrances of said buildings). I have nothing against the anti-smoking as long as other tobacco use is also banned in the same places that ban smoking, but the E-cigs there is nothing at all wrong with those. The FDA has been against those from the very beginning, focusing on the fact that they have nicotine in them. Even though the entire point of E-cigs is to be able for those that are addicted to both the nicotine, and the oral fixation of smoking with out having to breath the toxic chemicals that are in other smokable forms of tobacco. Then of course there is the fact that a lot of E-cigs look like cigarettes, and "That passes the wrong message on to our children." The entire campaign is ridiculous. It would make better sense to ban the production of E-cigs that look like cigarettes, then it does to ban the usage of them in any, and all public buildings( or with in 20 feet of the entrances of said buildings). However I Ramble.
The reasoning that I have for my views that the human race is nothing but bipedal sheep, is the fact plain and simple that such television shows as Dancing with the stars, and other "reality" shows, even exist. Use that as an example, but I look on the Internet (Facebook is a prime example of this), and see the types of things I see nearly everywhere adds to my view.

I'm sorry to say this, but my outlook for the human race is not at all bright, but gloomy. I am glad that someone has hope for the human race, but I see nothing but cattle that the powers that be are carefully groomed for the slaughter.

That is just my opinion, and as such has very little value.
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby neildarkstar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:05 am

yep, people are herd animals, and that's all there is to it. Of course, the odd thing is that we provide our own predators, those who feed on their less fortunate peers. People tend to think of predators in thier midst as "sexual predators" or "pedophiles" or others who tend to generate disgust, distrust, and occasionally unrest among the herd. The true predators are usually quick to hold these stereotypes up to public scrutiny and ridicule, and this is a part of their disguise.

The true predators are bankers, legislators, dictators, priests, pastors, and others who rule we the sheeple by subtrefuge and the abuse of powers granted them by we the sheeple. Reality shows are popular simply because most of the sheeple are too afraid or too influenced by the predators to live lives of their own and face inherent dangers that might cause them to grow a set and get rid of the predators who infest their daily lives.

Republicans, democrats, conservative or liberal, it is all a scam. Really, they are all the same. They all want to control the sheeple and they each need a "cause" to hide their true goals behind.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:41 am

I'm sorry Drakk, but I don't remember what State you are in. I know it is one of the Dakotas, but I looked to see how the law is worded in both states and came up with the following:

Restrictions on Abortion

In North Dakota, the following restrictions on abortion were in effect as of November 1, 2014:
Abortion would be banned if Roe v. Wade were to be overturned.
A woman must receive state-directed counseling that includes information designed to discourage her from having an abortion and then wait 24 hours before the procedure is provided.
Abortion is covered in private insurance policies only in cases of life endangerment, unless an optional rider is purchased at an additional cost.
Health plans that will be offered in the state’s health exchange under the Affordable Care Act can only cover abortion when the woman’s life is endangered, unless an optional rider is purchased at an additional cost.
Abortion is covered in insurance policies for public employees only in cases of life endangerment.
Medication abortion must be provided using the FDA protocol, thereby preventing the use of a more common, simpler evidence-based regimen.
The parents of a minor must consent before an abortion is provided.
Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.

In South Dakota, the following restrictions on abortion were in effect as of November 1, 2014:
Abortion would be banned if Roe v. Wade were to be overturned.
A woman must receive state-directed counseling that includes information designed to discourage her from having an abortion and then wait 72 hours before the procedure is provided. The 72 hour waiting period does not include weekends or annual holidays.
Health plans that will be offered in the state’s health exchange under the Affordable Care Act can only cover abortion when the woman's life is endangered or her health is severely compromised.
The use of telemedicine for the performance of medication abortion is prohibited.
The parent of a minor must be notified before an abortion is provided.
Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment.

Now, to my knowledge Roe v Wade hasn't been overturned. The laws appear to state pretty strong restrictions, but no current across-the-board ban is in effect. The quotes above are from the Guttmacher Institute and are dated as of November 1. Has something changed since then? If the above information is accurate, someone has lied to you. On the other hand, there is so much misinformation out there, I suppose it's no wonder "We the People" hardly ever know what's really going on.

Neil, I agree. I call those people the "political class" since their only goal in life is to maintain their power over the rest of us and we pay them to do it. I'm always astonished at the methods they use, though. I learned today that folks are airbrushing muscles on their bodies rather than bothering to alter photos. Of course magazines are still altering photos, using cover images of celebrities' faces pasted on someone else's body or a much younger version of their own. We all remember the fiasco when it was discovered TIME darkened OJ's skin for their cover of his mugshot.

The media is so insidious. The coasts are so insidious. I used to think the word "Californication" was funny. It isn't. California and New York are right there, driving the bandwagon for the political class. Hell, even Oprah believed supporting Obama would somehow make her more powerful. Apparently she learned nothing from Frank Sinatra about courting politicians.

Are we really the only ones who recognize how media is trying to destroy our self-esteem so they can control us better?

Here's a list of how any person can be a celebrity:

• remove all body hair
  • get a fake tan
  • airbrush muscles on
  • airbrush imperfections out
  • use a new drug that can permanently change your eye color or wear fake eyelashes
  • wear makeup or permanent makeup
  • inject foreign substances into face (botox, collagen, silicone)
  • buy fake boobs, pecs, calf muscles, abs, and buttocks
  • get dental implants, cheek implants, chin implant
  • lift eyelids and have nose changed (it doesn't matter if they were fine to start with)
  • bleach teeth
  • color hair
  • get colored contacts

And the final step to becoming a star? Get a job on a scripted show and call it "reality TV". With all that, you could make Ms Hathaway from the Beverly Hillbillies look like Marilyn Monroe. Hell, you could make Granny look like a pinup girl.

Westerners say foot binding was barbaric. It was, but with the above regimen, we don't have any room to talk about dangerous beauty practices. Incredibly, these are the same people who buy "organic" because it's "real" food and it's very important not to put anything processed into their bodies. :lol:
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Drakkmore » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:59 am

Yeah Elaura that was the first of November, but they had it on the ballot this past election day (the sixth) and it was to make ALL abortion illegal no matter what the reason for wanting/needing one is. At least as far as I could understand the legal mumbo jumbo when I read the bill before voting this year. So I'm afraid that the information that you've posted is no longer accurate.

The media controlled beauty racket is successful because of the indoctrination enforced upon the people's children during their formative years, otherwise known as School years. In American schools we are taught to accept with out question what "information" is fed to us by anybody in a position of authority, (and in some cases just people in any kind of uniform). We are also taught to never think for ourselves, and never ever ask the word "why" to do so means that you are defective, and must be re-educated. Now we do not even have to ensure that our children grasp the material that they are taught, but rather we just push them through whether or not they are ready for the next step in the indoctrination program. This has the effect of not only accepting that ultra skinny is attractive (having the effect of causing some eating disorders in the young of our species), but also that what the government (or your particular political party) is always right, and nothing should ever be done to the contrary of said institutions (or party's) views.

I might be wrong, but it seems that way to me at any rate.
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby neildarkstar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Elaura wrote:Are we really the only ones who recognize how media is trying to destroy our self-esteem so they can control us better?

In the end, the art of government is (and always has been) psychological warfare against its citizens... and media has been a willing part of that for a very long time. Are we the only ones? No, but speaking out about it publicly is not a particularly good idea.
"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." - Movie "Flypaper"
neildarkstar
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Postby Elaura » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Drakkmore wrote:Yeah Elaura that was the first of November, but they had it on the ballot this past election day (the sixth) and it was to make ALL abortion illegal no matter what the reason for wanting/needing one is. At least as far as I could understand the legal mumbo jumbo when I read the bill before voting this year. So I'm afraid that the information that you've posted is no longer accurate.

I double checked. The only ballot issue in either of the Dakotas concerning abortion was defeated by a wide margin. It also had nothing to do with the act of abortion, per se, but with the definition of "personhood". I think this proves my point nicely. If all those who voted against the bill believed, as you did, that it would ban all abortion accross the state for any reason, it's pretty clear there are a lot of people who don't want that and not all of them are democrats/liberals, unless you only have 90,224 voting republican/conservatives in your entire state.

Drakkmore wrote:The media controlled beauty racket is successful because of the indoctrination enforced upon the people's children during their formative years, otherwise known as School years.

You certainly aren't wrong. I've never believed in forcing children into school or preventing them from escaping it as early as they feel they can get a job and work. We have an overabundance of over-educated ignoramuses and it doesn't look to be getting any better until there are some radical shifts in the social makeup of our country. The first shift I've already been seeing the barest inklings of is a return of celebrities to what they do best (entertain) and their self-imposed removal from the world political stage.

neildarkstar wrote:In the end, the art of government is (and always has been) psychological warfare against its citizens... and media has been a willing part of that for a very long time. Are we the only ones? No, but speaking out about it publicly is not a particularly good idea.

This leads me to another shining light in the darkness, people are speaking out more. People have changed their definitions a little. I read more about the "radical" left and right as opposed to "moderates". Nobody talks about "global warming" anymore, they all, both sides, are calling it climate change and everyone has finally admitted it is happening and it isn't all the fault of people living in the US.

Speaking of schools, a group of Asian students have brought a lawsuit against Harvard for accepting other races over their own when they had higher scores and were more qualified.

Although I wouldn't put much stock it the trends of celebrities, I am noticing more women with leg and underarm hair on the red carpet. It might just be a fad, but I think it's a good one.

And of course, speaking out from behind a pseudonym on the internet is becoming a legitimate form of dissent, as long as the discussions remain rational and realistic. At least I *hope* so. :unsure:
Elaura
Chaplain

Postby Drakkmore » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Okay yeah it was defeated, but When I had went to bed election night it was ahead by quite a bit, and I had never checked the results again. making that most fatal of human mistakes, and assuming that it had passed. I do that from time to time, and it is a fault of mine that I must attempt to over come. I don't see me doing so though, because I have been dealing with that fault for my entire life.

I still stand by my statement that none of those women were "PLUS SIZE"!!!!!!!!
Drakkmore
Jac's Hero of the Day
Jac's Hero of the Day

Return to Beauty and Politics